• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where oh where might the TM be? (Applied Companies GETT Generator and ECU)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IT LIVES!

Well, sort of. I jumped it using the HMMWV today and got it to run. It immediately began spewing fuel out of a thousand pinholes in every rubber line. So I went to NAPA and bought 16' of line. Tomorrow begins fuel line replacement.

These things are ODD! The batteries are separated from each other, one in the front and one in the back. Looking at it, you'd think it was 12v....

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
is that an isuzie I see, or am I mistaken for a perkins.

oh, it is a perkins

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
14 feet of new fuel line later....

IT LIVES!

Now to learn about the electrical side of things. Ideally I'd like a way to access 50 amps of 230v single phase to power my shop welder.... I also plan to use this for its intended function - environmental control for my M129A4. And it'd be nice to pull some 208v 3phase to run a monster of an air compressor. Not all at the same time.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like 60 amps of 3phase 208V can be had here. My intent is to wire the male version of this onto a cable and connect to my 3phase air compressor.... comments invited.

208V vs 230v shouldn't be an issue.

The compressor will pull something like 40 amps.

Attachments

kavesman1

i Just looked through my HDT Drash HP-2C model pdf manual to find out what type of connectors you will need for the power output receptacles. Be prepared for sticker shock!

Here's the NSN/part numbers for the power output receptacles on the genset:

5935-01-093-5199

5935-01-569-0794

5935-01-569-4429

I tried to cross reference the receptacles to find the mating wire connector ends,but only found 1 for the first NSN.
Here's the info on that connector:
Eaton/Cooper Interconnect #GCL56C44412P / MS90556C44412P

Hope it helps you.

kavesman1

An Applied Companies unit...that's the one that i've been looking to get. I've looked also at the genhead of that unit. If your genhead is the Hanco/Southwest type, i got a hold of one of the techs at the company to confirm that the genhead can be rewire for basically any voltage output...from 480v 3 phase to 120v single phase output.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a lot of really knowledgeable people here. Please correct any misconceptions that I may have...

it seems to me that I can take some 8/5 cable and a 5pin male plug and I can wire my 3phase air compressor to plug into that 5pin port, from where it will happily slurp 208v 3phase power. This is basic and obvious unless I am missing something equally basic and obvious.

It seems to me, that when I'm not using the 3phase air compressor, and I want to run single phase equipment, that I can assemble a power distribution box to split out single phase from the 208v 3phase. Again, taking 8/5 cable and a male 5pin connector to plug into that 208v 3phase, then running that to a box and splitting it to power 50amp 240v 3prong plugs. Using 2phases of the 3phase power should give me single phase 208v. Using just one to neutral should give me 120v single phase. (Here's where I suspect that I don't fully understand).

I'm old enough and experienced enough to understand that absolute ignorance generally won't kill you. What kills you is when what you think you know isn't actually correct.

I notice that almost all 3phase industrial equipment is directly wired. This leads me to believe that plugging it in may be a hazardous activity, prone to arcing. To offset this, I would only connect or disconnect while the genset is off.

Please don't respond with a suggestion that I hire a professional. The primary purpose isn't to get this completed. The primary purpose is to learn and have fun. Any and all risk is fully my responsibility.

Edit - looks like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel. Picture added of a box that does pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do.

Screenshot_2018-04-21-17-24-02.jpg

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the one i called about. I didn't get the info on what the output current capability at the other voltages, but i do know that if you wire the head for split 120/240v single phase output, the Kw capacity is about 1/3 of the rated output.
Unless I misunderstand something, the output should be 2/3 of the rated output.

kavesman1

Yeah....2/3 of rated output is right. Something my fingers type something else than what my mind is thinking. I was trying to say it was 1/3 less than maximum output.

Working on too many projects at one time can cause trouble. :p

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a canabilized 200 amp dist. box if you need parts, I think I still owe you money anyways.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks