• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cobham FFCS/T

Wire Fox

I don't have working experience, but I honestly think you have what you need. Have you tried the setup yet? The application guide I read sounds like the FFCS/T is intended to allow a special telephone device that mounts directly to the outside of the tank to be used in conjunction with being a FFCS. Your ITS/R should tether to the RAFT via the 2-wire LINE plugs. As I personally own a RAFT, I had been keeping my eyes open for an ITS/R to do just what you're trying to do.

Trailfinder

The ITS/R only has two headset connectors and two binding posts for the wire link with the RAFT. The FFCS/T looks like it connects to the ITS/R via the "Port" side headset connector of the ITS/R. The FFCS/T also has what appears to be a "Call Lamp" centrally located (top/face). No power connector on the ITS/R or the RAFT, so I think you need the FFCS/T to power the remotes through the wire link.

Do you have the mounting plate with your RAFT? If so, can you post a couple of pics? I removed the back plate of one of the RAFT units I have and there is no battery inside so it would need to be externally powered.

Attachments

Wire Fox

Sorry, I honestly overlooked the placement of that second headset connector on the ITS/R. I'm used to them both being on the bottom, so my brain just filled in that it must have been the highway cable link. With that diagram you have, I absolutely agree that you need a FFCS/T, and I'm entirely willing to bet that there's probably 2 dozen of them out there, but some clueless guys are using them as a standard FFCS.

I don't have a mounting plate for my RAFT. I pretty much grabbed it on a whim because the price was right and it was an application I was hoping to eventually make use of on my HMMWV.

Augi

I have an FFCS/T, ITS and RAFT. There were several on eBay recently.

They were made in Germany, I presume for NATO countries.

I don't believe the US ever fielded them as they aren't in the TMs I've seen. The TUSK upgrade kit for the Abrams added an external telephone to the tank but they cheaped out and put a 5th FFCS out there. Probably because the already had them in the supply line. So basically if you can reach the back of the tank you can talk on the intercom and the crew can't shut you out. They would have to switch the power switch on the main control box to a program that removes radio permissions from the external box to keep you off the radios too. Not the best IMO, but functional.

The hard part that I'm still looking for is the cable to connect the FFCS/T to the ITS. The connector is the same as the highway cable connector except there is an additional ring of 6 pins between the outer ring of 6 and the center pin. Super high density arrangement. I checked the boards inside and most of them are in fact used, so there's no way to hack a regular highway cable to work.

Augi

IMG_20180310_130655.jpg

Last edited:

Trailfinder

According to the VIC-3 TM 11-5830-263-20&P the PALADIN (Remote) calls for a 25 FT "Highway Cable" to a FFCS to get the job done (No Telephone). Augi, can you post pics of your FFCS/T (Front and Sides) for a better look at the connectors?

Augi

The stock picture in your first post of the FFCS/T is accurate. Later when I get a chance I'll snap a pic, but it's mounted in the truck. The same 13 pin connector from my picture of the ITS is above the left side highway cable connector (hidden from view). Here's a datasheet: http://www.amphenol.co.uk/sites/default/files/62gb_10_76_catalogue.pdf

The LED is blue and is lit when the switch on the side is set to to enable the ITS. There is a third, momentary position that blinks the call light on the ITS if one is attached to the call light connector. I'm not sure how you blink the call light on the FFCS/T. Maybe by keying the handset on the ITS or by placing the upper left switch to "INT" or "WORK" positions.

To find a call light for the ITS I suggest looking at the VIC-1 equipment and M60 and similar era tanks. The connectors on the VIC-3 equipment is meant to interface with the existing accessories from those platforms.

Augi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks