• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1084 (need mechanic)

J kerr

hi!! i need help finding a mechanic in central fl.. i live in melbourne.. I'm having a issue getting my MHC/crane working... i can't get past the outriggers because i can't get them to go down.. I've replaced some hoses.. I've disconnected both lines going into 1 of the outriggers.. when i went up or down oil squirted out of the line but the cylinder didn't do anything when hooked up... any advise or is there anyone local someone can refer me to..

thanks! john

redman333

hi!! i need help finding a mechanic in central fl.. i live in melbourne.. I'm having a issue getting my MHC/crane working... i can't get past the outriggers because i can't get them to go down.. I've replaced some hoses.. I've disconnected both lines going into 1 of the outriggers.. when i went up or down oil squirted out of the line but the cylinder didn't do anything when hooked up... any advise or is there anyone local someone can refer me to..

thanks! john
You need to put a T fitting on with a pressure guage on so you can see the pressure not just flow. You could have a week pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These hydraulic systems can be tricky to repair. I would find a hydraulic shop that works on stinger cranes and bucket trucks. They will be able to fix it fast. Here in Houston it's South Coast Hydraulics.

snowtrac nome

those out riggers should have load holding valves they are there to hold the machine up in the event of a hose failure. so yes you will need a gauge because the load holding valbe will require pressure to over come the valve an move the cylinder. Ive seen load holding valves fail keeping a cylinder from moving,but you need to test system pressure to make certain you have enough pressure to overcome the load holding valve.

J kerr

i haven't been able to operate the crane yet.. i can't get past the outriggers yet.. its been a mission trying to understand it.. i wasn't sure if you had to use the remote or could just operate it manually.. on the instructions it talks about the on switch.. it says to turn the main switch on "AND" the remote switch on.. this is where i was getting confused.. it didn't say AND OR.. it says AND.. i have a remote, but didn't have a cable.. i found the proper cable but it had the reverse connector, so i haven't used the remote yet.. i spoke to a member and he said i could operate it with out the remote.. that i could operate it manually.. i still couldn't get the outriggers to go down.. I've had this truck for almost 2 years now.. when i got it one of the outriggers was dropped down around a foot.. now its touching the ground.. when you start up the truck the rear rises, so i put a jack under the cylinder.. after disconnecting the lines i jacked up the cylinder/shaft thinking the cylinder/shaft would go back in and all that happened was the rear of the truck lifted off of the ground.. i might have to replace some seals in that cylinder.. when i first started to try to operate the unit i engaged the PTO and scene oil leaking.. thats when i replaced the leaking hose.. also! i made sure that the oil was properly topped off.. i increased the idling rpm's and engaged the PTO.. i figured this is whats needed to start operating the MHC..

Now that I'm thinking about it.. the air brake isn't engaging.. I'm wondering if it was debraked for transport and maybe thats the reason the MHC isn't working.. ill go try that and see what happens..

i already replaced the batteries.. i replaced them with 2 D8's.. that had me stuck for a few days.. i come to find out that the truck operates off of 12volt and 24volt.. this had me going crazy..

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i haven't been able to operate the crane yet.. i can't get past the outriggers yet.. its been a mission trying to understand it.. i wasn't sure if you had to use the remote or could just operate it manually.. on the instructions it talks about the on switch.. it says to turn the main switch on "AND" the remote switch on.. this is where i was getting confused.. it didn't say AND OR.. it says AND.. i have a remote, but didn't have a cable.. i found the proper cable but it had the reverse connector, so i haven't used the remote yet.. i spoke to a member and he said i could operate it with out the remote.. that i could operate it manually.. i still couldn't get the outriggers to go down.. I've had this truck for almost 2 years now.. when i got it one of the outriggers was dropped down around a foot.. now its touching the ground.. when you start up the truck the rear rises, so i put a jack under the cylinder.. after disconnecting the lines i jacked up the cylinder/shaft thinking the cylinder/shaft would go back in and all that happened was the rear of the truck lifted off of the ground.. i might have to replace some seals in that cylinder.. when i first started to try to operate the unit i engaged the PTO and scene oil leaking.. thats when i replaced the leaking hose.. also! i made sure that the oil was properly topped off.. i increased the idling rpm's and engaged the PTO.. i figured this is whats needed to start operating the MHC..

Now that I'm thinking about it.. the air brake isn't engaging.. I'm wondering if it was debraked for transport and maybe thats the reason the MHC isn't working.. ill go try that and see what happens..

i already replaced the batteries.. i replaced them with 2 D8's.. that had me stuck for a few days.. i come to find out that the truck operates off of 12volt and 24volt.. this had me going crazy..
The main switch is in the cab, it turns on the pump, there is also a switch on the back of the truck on the left side on the side of a metal box. I have never needed the remote to operate the crane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J kerr

yeah! theres 1 switch that is the PTO switch witch turns on the pump thats inside the cab.. the others on the back driver side thats a on and off switch.. I'm aware of these if they are the correct ones.. someone even said theres another switch behind that batteries witch I've yet to find..

I'm going to mess with it tomorrow as today was nasty out.. I'm wondering if the air brakes could be playing a role.. otherwise I'm going to check the pumps pressure as advised..

Guyfang

Staff member
TM 9-2320-366-10-1 M1084/M1086 MATERIAL HANDLING CRANE
Have you read the operators instructions for your crane? It starts on page 2-356, (PDF reader page number 574) and is a very detailed instruction on the what, where and how to, of the MHE crane.

in the maintenance manual, is also a very good troubleshooting diagram for the crane.

J kerr

yes! i just went back and read it again... i went through the process again and no luck.. i need to try the pressure test or maybe i can find someone who has worked on these..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks