• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sound the new style air dryer makes?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished installing the new style air dryer on my M1078(A0). The old one made a loud "POP-RUSH" sound, and this new one makes a much softer "CREEK-HISS" sound. Is that how it's supposed to be? (I know, I know, trying to explain sounds in text, haha. But the previous sound was a loud pop and violent release of air in 1 second, and this new one is much more controlled and takes several seconds.)

Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I just finished installing the new style air dryer on my M1078(A0). The old one made a loud "POP-RUSH" sound, and this new one makes a much softer "CREEK-HISS" sound. Is that how it's supposed to be? (I know, I know, trying to explain sounds in text, haha. But the previous sound was a loud pop and violent release of air in 1 second, and this new one is much more controlled and takes several seconds.)

Thanks!
Which air dryer type did you install

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's the "Haldex PURest". I didn't know there were more than the "old style" and "new style", sorry.

rd3war

Your description of the sounds is accurate. The new style is not as loud and forceful sounding as the old model. I kept my old one as I like how it sounds and rebuild kits are inexpensive.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It's the "Haldex PURest". I didn't know there were more than the "old style" and "new style", sorry.
The haldex purest is a updated version of the haldex pure air plus. That did not come on LMTVs. There Is even a wabco air dryer that is the newest style to hit surplus. It's about 1/3 the size and weight of the purest dryer and around 60$ . It also has several different purge sounds it can make. The wabco dryer will even make a certain purge noise to indicate a leak in the air system or if it detects another abnormality in air flow thru it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KGBruce

I need to upgrade to the Haldex Purest. Looked in the SS Classifieds with no luck. Probably there somewhere but doing a search usually isn't easy! If you have one you can PM me. Thanks!

snowtrac nome

Your description of the sounds is accurate. The new style is not as loud and forceful sounding as the old model. I kept my old one as I like how it sounds and rebuild kits are inexpensive.
do you have a part number for the kit to rebuild the original dryer I kind of like it to

KGBruce

While we're on the subject of air dryer purge sounds....I had about 2 tons on gravel in my M1078 last weekend driving along about 30 mph when my air dryer purged and simultaneously my park brakes partially applied creating a startling shuttering in the rear of the truck. Stopped the truck, inspected everything which looked fine and the very cautiously started driving again. Wondering if the air dryer purging was just a coincidence, I waited for the next release of air. It happened again, and again! It seems as though the park brakes are only momentarily affected by the purge but long enough to force a complete stop. Check valve? Load Sensing valve? Crazy!! I'm combing my schematics and could sure use some help on this one.

KGBruce

image.jpgOriginal "Finned" type. I neglected to disclose I was running the truck without the 90 degree dust cover (held in place with 3 small bolts) that covers the purge valve. I had recently removed and cleaned the purge valve because it had stuck open on an earlier occasion. I was leaving the cover off to monitor the valve.
Could the abscents of the cover allow enough of an increase in exhaust volume to drop the airline pressure enough to activate the low pressure switch?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks