• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone used or seen anyone using a RT-524 radio?

Pisquinii

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, Has anyone used or seen anyone using a RT-524 radio? If so...when the radio power is on...is the CALL light on or off, or does it light when someone uses the radio? Trying to mock up a radio for my HMMWV. Thanks in advance.

papakb

We've been using the VRC-12 family of radios in our HMMWVs for the past 20 years. Typically we operate in the bottom of the 6 meter amateur band on 51.00 mhz. There's no license to listen here but to transmit you should have a minimum of a Technician Class radio license. Since the FCC dropped the morse code requirement the test is relatively easy to pass and the license is valid for 10 years. A couple of evenings studying the online tests and you shouldn't have any problems getting licensed.

We normally operate in low power mode (<10 watts) to avoid interfering with other amateurs on the band for a couple of reasons. One is that the VRC-12 family of radios are wide band radios and most amateur radios are narrow band sets. You will still be able to talk to them but your signal won't be as clear as talking to another military set. The other reason is we seldom need to talk over long distances and 10 watts is more than enough power for convoying. Naturally you want to use proper protocols and obscenities are never acceptable. Much unlike the Citizens Band!

With an RT-524 you'll be able to talk to other radios like the PRC-6; PRC-8,9,10; PRC-25/77 and any of today's modern radios.

Kurt

KG6KMJ

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Light comes on when you push the handset button. Why not buy a real radio instead of mocking one up? I’m most likely selling my vrc47 with a demilitarized Vincent.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks