• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering wheel doesn't return from either direction

stevenbeven

Thanks for all the tips here everyone. I completed this a week or so ago but just now getting a chance to make a couple posts. I opted to go with ORDs crossover system. I chose to stay with current drag link location because I didn't want to add the cross member at this moment so went for the drag link upgrade and it is easily twice as stout as the factory. The factory seemed like it would bend a bit if pulled on but this new one is hard as a rock. installed everything myself including new PSC steering box with ports in case I want to upgrade to ram assist down the road. measured and remeasured drag link location and everything lined up nicely. took to 4wheelparts to do alignemnt after swap and they said it dialed in pretty easy. I also upgraded steering shaft to XJ version i got from a junk yard for 10 bucks. I know that may not satisfy some of the purist but this CUCV has been modified already with new engine so I'm ok with it. installed the spring delete kit from Craneam, that was pretty easy to install too for somene thats never done anything like that before. one of the nylon inserts seemed to be in there pretty good so I just left that one there and added replaced the one that came out easily. When drilling the hole for the steering box brace kit i kinda screwed that up but will have the nut welded to the crossmember to reinforce support. Had to make a couple holes there because I didn't have it lined up right.... ooops... up steering is super crisp and returns to center easily. list of upgrades below, thanks for all the advice!!!

- ORD Steering Box Brace kit
- ORD Crossover Steering kit
- ORD HD Drag link
- PSC Steering box Ported
- Craneam Kingpin Spring delete kit (nylon bushing replacement)
- XJ Steering shaft swap

Glockfan

The second picture you posted showing where the extra tab from the steering box brace kit is mounted needs to be sent to Chris Holick or Stephen Watson at ORD. In my opinion, a picture like this should have been included in the instructions. That was the toughest step for me to figure out because I obviously can't read. I will update my thread when I can do some more work on the truck. Right now, it is too hot and I have to work in the early morning or evening and time is limited... I already have my PSC ram and will post plenty of pictures once I get the work done.

Thanks for your pictures.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Steven - Looking great! You gonna love that crossover steering.

This is off the main subject, but can you elaborate on the radiator and twin fan set up you used? I plan to eliminate my fan clutch as well and would like to know more about replacement radiators and remote fans. Thanks in advance.

stevenbeven

Thanks sharecropper, I’m not too Shute about the setup on the radiator honestly. It’s what was in there when I bought it and I didn’t ask about it. I snagged a couple pics though. From the part number pulls up the links below a really heavy duty radiator but deminsions don’t match what is showing in google. I’ll look into it a bit more and let you know what I find.

The truck has a modified 454 in it and I’ve never seen the temp go over 190. I would have thought a shroud would have been needed and may add at some point but has stayed cool even in hot heat in stop and go traffic over the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glockfan

Steven, did you have any "death wobble" after converting over to crossover steering? I finished up on Saturday and decided to take the truck for a spin. When I hit a small bump in the road at 30 MPH, I had some very violent wobble. I realize I am without a sway bar and steering stabilizer now but this is rough, violent rough. I plan to have a proper alignment done and have my ram installed this week. I may actually get 4 Wheel Parts to finish the job by welding the tabs to the tie rod and axle housing after a proper alignment and mounting the ram. I am actually thinking about reinstalling my factory tie rod and steering stabilizer just to get the truck to the shop.

stevenbeven

Hey Glock, I do have some wobble after the install but I haven’t found it to be a frighting amount the way others describe. I think the new tie rod actually helps mine a tone being so stiff compared to the factory version. After the tie rod install (before alignment) the steering was super tight, like too tight, and wobble wasn’t much but now that it returns to center as it’s supposed to it does wobble some on bumps but nothing crazy. I don’t have my steering stabilizer installed yet and think that it will reduce this on mine (hoping so!). 4wheelparts is about 1 mile from my house so it was no big deal driving mine over.
Did you install the crane polymer springs in the upper king pins? That was cheap and relatively easy to do and might help out.

What about throwing a stabilizer on there to get you to the alignment shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaski

Steven, did you have any "death wobble" after converting over to crossover steering? I finished up on Saturday and decided to take the truck for a spin. When I hit a small bump in the road at 30 MPH, I had some very violent wobble. I realize I am without a sway bar and steering stabilizer now but this is rough, violent rough. I plan to have a proper alignment done and have my ram installed this week. I may actually get 4 Wheel Parts to finish the job by welding the tabs to the tie rod and axle housing after a proper alignment and mounting the ram. I am actually thinking about reinstalling my factory tie rod and steering stabilizer just to get the truck to the shop.
This is why I think any crossover system should have hydraulic assist or a panhard rod.

Glockfan

This is why I think any crossover system should have hydraulic assist or a panhard rod.
I have a nice brand new PSC ram waiting to be installed... :) Will the installation of the ram negate the death wobble? I have been told that it will act as an extremely effective steering stabilizer.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glock;

You don't need that sway bar but you must have the steering stabilizer. I recommend a new Moog unit. I too had the DW before I rebuilt my front end and installed crossover and the Moog, but now I can't make my truck wobble if I tried. Install a new stabilizer and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Glockfan

I think my left kingpin bushing is shot. I noticed after a second test drive around the block that I had an unusual amount of camber on the left wheel so I jacked up that side and easily noticed the wheel give about 1/4" and appear to align itself to where it should be. I decided to order bronze kingpin bushings and the kingpin spring eliminators from Crane axle. These are the hard rubber spring substitutes. I am hoping that this cures my problem enough to the point that I can drive it to the alignment shop. After it is aligned, I will then get the tabs welded to the tie rod and axle housing and install the ram. Hopefully this will permanently solve the DW.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Glock - I strongly recommend that you rebuild those front axle ends while your tools are nice and greasy. My M1028 had Death Wobble Cum Laude until I rebuilt everything in the front and installed crossover steering. New front axle u-joints, inner and outer bearings and seals, king pins, you name it, it got replaced. After I finished the work and installed the Moog stabilizer, I cannot get my truck to wobble if I wanted it to. Not sure which component was causing the issue, but it got fixed via the shotgun method. Another thought, I also installed new ORD poly spring bushings and spring hangers so that could have been part of the problem. I don't know what was causing it, but it ain't wobbling now. Front sway bar went into the dumpster.

Hope this helps.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I have to agree about the spring hangers Sharecropper, probably the most overlooked place for repair.

I bought 10 pair of the poly, nylon, plastic, upper king pin bushings from GM 20 years ago and replace on either a new used vehicle with new lower bearing sets or after use on lifted K30's, and personally own 3 at the moment, lots of stress after wider tires are added. I also get great service life from them, easy to change out the uppers. But unless you do it yourself to see that it has been repaired, fixed, upgraded you will never know.

Many, many reasons for DW, Tie Rods, but TIRES are if already used and broke in then change toe, caster, camber, lift, loose bolts, frame flex, no steering shock damper or two puts a lot more stress on the steering box, box adjustment, on and on. So many variables, process of elimination.

I think that a lot info is laid out in the thread for different reasons for all. And that is why talking and sharing different remedies helps all, because veteran wheelers have been through most every problem and fix. At the cost of blood and treasure.

Again a little long winded, just sharing. Good Wheeling!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks