• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does hydro assist negate the need for the steering damper/stabilizer?

Glockfan

Trying to decide if I should replace my tie rod once I go hydro assist with an ORD tie rod. At present, I have the factory tie rod with the damper on it. Would the hydraulic cylinder on a new ORD tie rod serve as a damper as well thus negating the need for the stock damper? My truck drives just fine even using the basic steering correction kit (raised steering block and dropped Pittman arm). I have never had a problem with death wobble. I expect the new PSC box and the ORD crossover steering to improve steering response.

Once I finish this install, will a steering damper become unnecessary with hydro assist? What say you fine fellows?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say no. The HYD cylinder will have equal pressure on both sides of the piston to keep the wheels straight. But it will do nothing to dampen movement from worn joints and out of round,out of balance, and uneven wore tires. Not that your parts are wore, but they will be. Also any dirt roads with washboard surfaces will make a little vibe into a big one

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Glock - you won’t need a stabilizer with the hydraulic cylinder on there. But it might be a good time to rebuild those front knuckles if you haven’t already. And remember, every little shake and shimmy is amplified when alcohol is consumed.

Chaski

No dampener needed with hydraulic assist.

The other plus about hydraulic assist with crossover is that it locks down the steering on the axle itself. That knocks any future crossover caused death wobble out of the picture. The deal with crossover is that if you can have sort of a cyclic self perpetuating event where the frame deflects to one side than the other... Example... Frame deflects to the drivers side in relation to the front axle, pulling the drag link, turning left. Then the frame deflects to the passenger side (because of the sudden left turn) in relation to the axle, pushing the drag link turning the rig right. Then the frame defects to the drivers side in relation to the axle, pulling the drag link turning the rig left. This can carry on until you slow down and your heart rate drops down from hummingbird levels. The leaf spring bushings, the leaf springs themselves (worse with large lift springs) and the shackles all can add to this deflection. This isn't a problem with conventional GM draglink steering since the draglink goes from front to rear and isn't prone to this.

Some folks run bare crossover without any issues, others do. Personally I have crossover with hydraulic assist and it is rock solid. No weird drivability issues period.

Glockfan

Appreciate the very good information guys! I am having serious issues with my stock steering right now. The most annoying issue is not being able to turn lock to lock. When you are on a Utah mountain with a one ton Chevy, you need all the turning radius you can get. I think that I may add a one inch zero rate and move the front axle slightly forward. This will give me a total of seven inches of lift up front and may negate some of the fender well rubbing when I am in serious offroad situations.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appreciate the very good information guys! I am having serious issues with my stock steering right now. The most annoying issue is not being able to turn lock to lock. When you are on a Utah mountain with a one ton Chevy, you need all the turning radius you can get. I think that I may add a one inch zero rate and move the front axle slightly forward. This will give me a total of seven inches of lift up front and may negate some of the fender well rubbing when I am in serious offroad situations.
Glock, the geometry of the crossover will make all the difference in your turning limits, especially when the truck is skewed in an uneven situation. I couldn't believe the difference it made on my truck. Now that I have experienced crossove, there is no way I could go back. Just my 2 cents.

Glockfan

Glock, the geometry of the crossover will make all the difference in your turning limits, especially when the truck is skewed in an uneven situation. I couldn't believe the difference it made on my truck. Now that I have experienced crossove, there is no way I could go back. Just my 2 cents.
I know you have done your homework. I have decided to go “all in” and do this right. I’m going 100% ORD on the crossover steering and non hydraulic parts. I liked the ORD drag link so much that I wanted a matching tie rod. Ordered it today. I am also going full hydraulic assist using 100% PSC components. I hope this alleviates my steering woes. I am going to have about $2k in steering when this is done...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks