• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1089 Dashboard Intermittent Power

firebirdgm2000

I have a 1089A1P2 FMTV Wrecker that has been having issues with the dashboard connection going on and off. All the gauges reset or turn off completely for a short duration (this includes the air gauges ) and continue to operate for a random amount of time.

Parts replaced and checked so far:

Batteries checked and charged
Charging system checked
Checked harness behind dash
Lug behind dash cleaned and regrounded
LBCD replaced
Interconnecting box behind dash replaced

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Look for chafing on the wiring behind the dash. On the soft skin trucks, the gas pedal linkage would wear through the harness and cause shorts only if you were on the gas. Not sure if the armored cabs have this problem or not. The on - off cycling sounds like the breaker resetting. Good luck.

coachgeo

Welcome. Look for chafing on the wiring behind the dash. On the soft skin trucks, the gas pedal linkage would wear through the harness and cause shorts only if you were on the gas. Not sure if the armored cabs have this problem or not. The on - off cycling sounds like the breaker resetting. Good luck.
Have read of this issue before.... hopefully not hijacking this fellows thread..... are you referring to any wiring that may go thru the same access hole in floor of dash as the rod from pedal travels? Curious on this cause I've no wire harneses thru that hole on mine. Just wonder if some trucks had a wire harness run thru that hole and some didn't.

firebirdgm2000

I've jiggled the harness without any change or effect its just completely random, i'm starting to think this may be coming from the breaker box so I may be pulling that up soon to check the wiring from underneath. One other thing ive noticed is the 12v side keeps dipping below 12v but all the batteries are fully charged beyond 12.7.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Maybe the polarity box. Under the spare tire. Works with the regulator to control charging and cab power from the batts go thru it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Grounds under power panel bolted up on the right side. On a bolt that holds on the passenger dash grab handle. Does the truck die too?

Ronmar

What year? Are these individual gauges(each gauge receives power and is connected directly to its sensor) or are they bussed gauges connected to a MMDC?

On an A0 with individual gauges, each gauge receives power directly from the instrument circuit breaker CB77.

On the later A1’s the gauges are all connected to a data bus which connects to the Module Data Computer Instrument(MMDC) which is connected to all the gauge sensors... one of those receives power from CB-76(ignition 12v) and CB-38(battery 12v)...

i am not sure what year/model they switched to the bussed gauges and processor...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks