• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pretty sure my air packs shot.......

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a new master cylinder, built the power bleeder as yall suggested and it works great. I bled the air pack, then at the wheels, got lots of air at the wheels. My pedal still sinks to the floor 1st pump then 2nd pump its good BUT now its blowing fluid outa my slobber tube & i can hear a pssst from the air pack when pumping the brake. So, is my air pack shot? Internal seal blown or something? Any other way i could be getting brake fluid in the vent? I have a remote reservoir hooked to the MC cap vent.

Speaking of the MC cap, apparently there's 2 sizes and the my new MC is the big one & the spare i had for my power bleeder is the small one. Where can i buy just the cap? I really dont wana be changing the fittings in ny cap every time.

Thanks guys, i know i ask alota questions

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You said you had a remote reservoir hooked up to the MC cap. If so, you can install a connector to hook up the power bleeder in the hose from the reservoir to the MC cap. Just put a shutoff valve above it, so the pressure goes to the MC and not to the reservoir. For normal driving, the shutoff is open, you only close it for power bleeding. That way you do not have to mess with the MC cap at all. Common plumbing parts.

Air pack: Here is a rebuild thread with pics: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?82753-MY-Airpack-Rebuild-with-Photos!

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Id feel alot better bout doing that in a steel line. This remote kit is kinda mickey mouse. The hose dont fit the barb very tight & have to crank the fool outa the clamp to get the hose tight. I feel sure it would leak if pressurized. On top of that im not sure its not air locked or something. When i took the hose off the MC cap today no brake fluid came out & the MC was only bout half full. Reservoir on the firewalls full tho, right up to the line. Obviously not real stoked bout the remote kit. Great concept but i need to plumb up something decent.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will dot 3 cause air pack failure? I dont know how to tell the difference other than color but most of the old fluid i bled out was a clearish yellow color. Fairly clean looking but not purple at all. Does dot 5 loose its color w/age or water contamination?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it a short or long AirPak?

I’ve rebuilt both with success, but I did have a long AirPak last year that I rebuilt twice, and it suffered from the same symptoms you mentioned (blowing brake fluid out of the vent in engine compartment). There are parts inside that we cannot rebuild, so I removed it & replaced it with a NOS short-style AirPak....problems solved, it worked like a champ.

Member Rustystud listed a shop back east that does complete rebuilds on AirPaks; I need to send this extra long one off to get thoroughly rebuilt to have on hand as a spare. Contact him to get the phone number, as I don’t have it handy right now.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the long style on the truck. So the short long style are interchangeable? Whats the difference other than the size?

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the long style on the truck. So the short long style are interchangeable? Whats the difference other than the size?
I think only one or two air fittings, IIRC. Fairly easy to interchange.

I’d compare the cost of sending the long style off to be rebuilt against the cost of a NOS short style...if you send your long style in to be rebuilt, at least it will be a direct bolt-in when it’s returned.

rustystud

Is it a short or long AirPak?

I’ve rebuilt both with success, but I did have a long AirPak last year that I rebuilt twice, and it suffered from the same symptoms you mentioned (blowing brake fluid out of the vent in engine compartment). There are parts inside that we cannot rebuild, so I removed it & replaced it with a NOS short-style AirPak....problems solved, it worked like a champ.

Member Rustystud listed a shop back east that does complete rebuilds on AirPaks; I need to send this extra long one off to get thoroughly rebuilt to have on hand as a spare. Contact him to get the phone number, as I don’t have it handy right now.
The company that rebuilds the air-pacs with new stainless steel liners is "Precision Rebuilders" . Phone number is 1-800-325-2690 . Ask for Tim.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The company that rebuilds the air-pacs with new stainless steel liners is "Precision Rebuilders" . Phone number is 1-800-325-2690 . Ask for Tim.
I would assume this companies rebuild is more complete than what we could do at home w/the $80 rebuild kit?

rustystud

I would assume this companies rebuild is more complete than what we could do at home w/the $80 rebuild kit?
Yes. They actually "reline" the main and side bore with stainless steel. The side bore is what allows the master cylinder pressure to apply the main pressure piston in the air-pac. This bore gets really worn over time and the pressure cannot build-up properly. This is also where a lot of people install the piston seals wrong. They think pressure is applied in only one direction. Forgetting the main pressure side.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. They actually "reline" the main and side bore with stainless steel. The side bore is what allows the master cylinder pressure to apply the main pressure piston in the air-pac. This bore gets really worn over time and the pressure cannot build-up properly. This is also where a lot of people install the piston seals wrong. They think pressure is applied in only one direction. Forgetting the main pressure side.
Ok, thanks for the insight. I will call em today & see what they say.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I talked to the guy at Precision Rebuilders & he said he couldn't really give me a price till he looked the air pack over but it would probally be $450ish. Looks like I'll be buying a new one.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know what you'll be getting with the rebuild: an AirPak that you should never have to worry about again. With an NOS/"new" AirPak, who knows...unless you know the date of manufacture/rebuild and it hasn't been sitting on a shelf or in someone's yard for 20 years or more.

It all boils down to how much value you place on your peace of mind.

rustystud

You know what you'll be getting with the rebuild: an AirPak that you should never have to worry about again. With an NOS/"new" AirPak, who knows...unless you know the date of manufacture/rebuild and it hasn't been sitting on a shelf or in someone's yard for 20 years or more.

It all boils down to how much value you place on your peace of mind.
Totally agreement here ! A few years ago I bought two NOS air-pacs. I dissembled both just to be sure and found one was OK. The other one though had extensive rust through out ! It was almost unrebuildable ! So with anything being that old even if it is NOS your rolling the dice on the condition. At least with the rebuilt one you know it will last your lifetime if not longer. Just saying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks