• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Bumper

chandler17

I recently purchased an 85 M1028 and just created an account on Steel Soldiers so this is my first post here.

My truck came with a winch mounted infront of the stock front bumper but it sticks out so far it really decreases my approach angle for off roading, so I'm going to put a winch bumper on it. I already have a bumper laying around I can use, but my question is about the brush guard. I love the look of the CUCV brush guard and I think it would be awesome to keep that on with an aftermarket bumper, is this possible without fabrication? I've seen a picture on the internet of the exact setup I'm going for with the brush guard ontop of the winch bumper, but I don't know how much modification this will require. Does anybody know if I can keep the brush guard on when the bumper's removed?

Any knowledge would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Ilikemtb999

Without seeing the shape and design of the bumper you have it’s very hard to know if it’ll work without major fabrication. If it mimics the stock bumper in a thicker plate then I’m sure with some work it’ll fit.

I chose to install a winch behind the stock bumper instead and with a plate installed it’s hard to notice it at first glance.

chandler17

Without seeing the shape and design of the bumper you have it’s very hard to know if it’ll work without major fabrication. If it mimics the stock bumper in a thicker plate then I’m sure with some work it’ll fit.

I chose to install a winch behind the stock bumper instead and with a plate installed it’s hard to notice it at first glance.
Ok thanks, I'll post a picture of it a little later.

TGP (IL)

That was a winch bumper sold by Ramsey with there 8000 series electric. worm winch back in the day.
You will have just study it and get creative to keep the guard.
Tom

Kaiser67M715

Do some searches, I tried for 2 seconds, but didn't find the thread I was looking for, but several members have been pretty creative and thrown a winch behind the stock bumper, keeps an even better attack angle then a winch bumper too.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

sneekyeye

Oy vey- I mounted a Harbor freight 12k winch behind the stock bumper with a harbor freight winch plate cut down to bolt into the top lip of the frame rail. Had to cut the license plate looking flat part off and put on a roller fairlead license plate holder to hide it. The winch is mounted upside down and the control box is mounted to the driver side inner fender near the radiator reservoir. It hangs down a little bit, but it is no lower than the front leaf spring eyes.

IMAG0890[1].jpgIMAG0888[1].jpgIMAG0889[1].jpgIMAG0847[1].jpg

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

Yup, that looks like one of them, but the one I was thinking of was really concealed and had a flip up license plate, I still can't find it, I lost my computer, and some files weren't recoverable, including my favorites, because I knew I wanted to do the same thing.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of a M1010 with a electric Humvee winch mounted behind the bumper. He mounted the plate upside down from the top of the rails. He had to fab a little because of the shape of the frame. I was impressed with how clean the install was. The truck looks stock except for the roller fairlead where the license plate should be. I have a HYD winch for a Humvee that I'm thinking of doing the same with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks