• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A1 paint job

Millmarsh

Hey new to this forum. I am in the uk and just completed a restoration on a m52A1 and have painted it olive drab. I need some advice on what decals should go on it to finish it off. A military club in the U.K. dated it and it has now been registered as 1967 so would appreciate some info on what should be on it for around that time. Cheers!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And there is a big star on the hood you can't see in the pic, IIRC, it is centered and 24 inches. The numbers on the sides of the hood are the truck number or registration or vin, what ever you want to call it, the one engraved on your data plate. The markings on the bumper varied, they are the unit it was assigned to, example, my truck, LH bumper, 63RRC.... 63 Ready Reserve Command. RH bumper, 950MT....950 maintenance

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your truck is running a multi-fuel, your truck is an M52A2. The M52A1 uses an Mack engine. Also welcome aboard from Nevada USA. Would like to see some pictures of your truck.

pmramsey

The reason I asked about the engine in your 1967 truck is Mack had the contract from 1959-1966. Thereafter, the multi-fuel engine was used. The Macks when overhauled kept the Mack ENDT-673 engine with the latest updates to it. I have a 1965 M54A1 with an overhaul in 1975. During the overhaul in addition to the Mack engine upgrade, the Spicer transmission was upgraded with an overdrive and the steering was changed over to the type used in the M809 series of 5-tons. You own a fine piece of history. There are not many of them remaining. Yours looks very nice.

Millmarsh

Thank you all very much for the information much appreciated
here are some pictures of it during it’s restoration

Attachments

pmramsey

Here is the rig that I think looks the best with your M52A2 Tractor. This is my 1970 M818 pulling an M127A1C trailer. The tractor only had 749 miles and 37 hours when I purchased it nine years ago. I have a little over 2,800 miles on it now. It makes a fine hay wagon and a good all around turnip truck. The tractor had a complete depot overhall in 2003. I have never found an M52A1 that fit my needs so Ive had to settle for the M818 which is not much of a hardship in the greater scheme of things.

L1000394.jpgL1000393.jpgL1000391.jpgL1000390.jpg

Millmarsh

The reason I asked about the engine in your 1967 truck is Mack had the contract from 1959-1966. Thereafter, the multi-fuel engine was used. The Macks when overhauled kept the Mack ENDT-673 engine with the latest updates to it. I have a 1965 M54A1 with an overhaul in 1975. During the overhaul in addition to the Mack engine upgrade, the Spicer transmission was upgraded with an overdrive and the steering was changed over to the type used in the M809 series of 5-tons. You own a fine piece of history. There are not many of them remaining. Yours looks very nice.
Can anyone tell me if there is a way of finding out any history about this truck which regiment it was assigned to or where it has been etc. and how it ended up in the U.K. as I have no information whatsoever on it!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Millmarsh. You might PM CARNAC. I think you'll need your identification number & contract number these should be on the data plate on the right side of your dash. Also you should have a number on the chassis behind the left front tire. It's stamped into the metal, you may have to scrape some paint off to read it. Would be nice to have that information on your trucks history. Good Luck!

Millmarsh

Millmarsh. You might PM CARNAC. I think you'll need your identification number & contract number these should be on the data plate on the right side of your dash. Also you should have a number on the chassis behind the left front tire. It's stamped into the metal, you may have to scrape some paint off to read it. Would be nice to have that information on your trucks history. Good Luck!
Done cheers 🍻

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks