• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn Tone(s)

RaggedyMan

Generally when I push the horn button I get a loud squeal, if I push harder I'll get the louder deeper sound. Sometime's it seems like it depends on the location of where I push the button but my thought is the button is only sending an electrical signal to the solenoid and has nothing to do with the actual sounds of the horn. I took the solenoid off yesterday and put in a bit of air tool oil but no change. Is there something to this that's suppose to be this way or is one of the horns just being ornery and what's the fix?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, the air goes thru the solonoid, then thru the body to a metering hole, then in a chamber where the baffle is, the air pressure pushed on the flexible baffle and makes it vibrate as the air pushes past to make the sound. Same thing like a brass instrument, the player pinches his lips together to make them vibrate, the instrument just magnifies the sound.

IMG_2580[1].jpg

IMG_2581[1].jpg
Silver spacer to hold pressure on the baffle when cover is installed.

IMG_2582[1].jpg
You can see where the spacer rides on the baffle, thats where it will be cracked or torn. If while inspecting, if its not broken, turn it over so it has more time to wear out.

The baffles can be made from a beer can or brass, or can be ordered. If you make it from a beer can, make 2 and stack them, the aluminum isnt as hardy as the brass and wear out faster.

IMG_2586[1].jpg
Metering hole can see seen between the 2 bolt holes, clean that out with a piece of wire or torch tip cleaner, try not to make the hole any larger.

IMG_2585[1].jpg
This is the tone adjusting skrew which is on the back cover, its what controls how much tension is on the baffles, its adjustable with an allen wrench which can be seen in the first photo.

Kaiser67M715

What is actually sounds like is intermittent contact within the horn button. It's a contact to ground, so any corrosion with cause loss of voltage signal, which can mean reduced power to solenoid. I would pull the horn button and clean up with cleaning alcohol, then reassemble and see how they work after.

Thoroughly inspecting the horns isn't a bad idea either, but normally a broken baffle won't change tone. It might get louder, but tone won't change.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

RaggedyMan

Thanks guys, I couldn't ask for much more detail than that!! I'll try the horn button first since it's suppose to pour down rain the next couple of days. I did connect the electric horn while messing with the solenoid yesterday just to see if it worked and what it sounded like (a cute little Barbie jeep beep). Since that worked ok I would think the button is ok but I'll clean it up since it'll be too wet to get under the hood

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks