• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbee, HMMWV doesn't start, need advice please!!

Strickland03

I just got my 2003 998, 6.2,3000 miles from iron planet. I knew it didn’t run when I bought it so now starting to troubleshoot.. any advise MUCH appreciated.

So with new batteries when I turn to start,
the wait light flashes once. It turns over but no ignition.
Any advise on places to start would be great !! Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Dock Rocker

First advice would be to rear this forum. You have a very common problem. It’s been addressed many, many times.

You most likely need to clean your grounds and or instal a grounding harness. Replace your smart box and all of your glow plugs. Read the forum, download the he TM’s, read them. You will find your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strickland03

Thank you for your response, I have read through quite a bit and seen quite a few things that are similar, so I just thought I would ask and get the exact answer I’m looking for. thanks again for answering

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Congratulation's on your new baby. With 3000 miles, sounds like you got the manager's demo truck. Ya, just goofing. Like KIDS. no instructions, no operator manual (in the glove box ??) and no test drive. Lot of info here and there. Manuals and TM's... READ, read and reread with lots of pictures that I need too. Take it easy at this stage before that first walk. Proper care and feeding (money and time) it won't be long and you will have it running. Simple on the outside, can get a little complex on the inside. Sound familiar? Good luck and have fun.

If was easy, it would come with a key. CAM

your baby.jpg

Action

I just got my 2003 998, 6.2,3000 miles from iron planet. I knew it didn’t run when I bought it so now starting to troubleshoot.. any advise MUCH appreciated.

So with new batteries when I turn to start,
the wait light flashes once. It turns over but no ignition.
Any advise on places to start would be great !! Thanks in advance
I read that as you got in and turned the switch to START?

Dock Rocker

I would start by checking your glow plugs. I bet they are all toast. That is a by product of a dead box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Many have been down this road more than once. It's part of the learning curve that goes with the hobby. Not looking to be a butt head, But if this is your "first time start" or trying to (it's a crap shoot anyway), your on your way to a degree in Hmmwv School 101. At this point there are few checks that need to be done in some logical order. Read back thru many of the previous threads or search to find tons of info.

Seems to happening a lot lately. Wait till winter.

Simple tools and reading time to think it through and some bucks too!

Here's a freebee to get you started. (pun) > https://hummerhuren.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/hmmwv_test-diagnostics.pdf

Soon you'll be at the head of the class.

In detention for now, CAM

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome from Missouri! As for your First Post do not panic, Patience is your Guide.

As mentioned by helpful Members it is wise to have some knowledge of a new acquisition
before you start flipping switches. Although I would bet that is what some have done also, and its called OTJT. On The Job Training! Take your time before you burn something else up. Dock Rocker has given great information as a first, and find out why before you spend Milcommoguy's info, MONEY.

The Gov does not always give away crated up Jeeps for 50 bucks. They get tired of jacking with it and out it goes to the bone yard for parts.

Good Luck and take some Sage advice, Welcome and study, the Fun is just around the corner.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Something more to read. Can't take credit for this other that click and pasted > https://gear-report.com/humvee-info-first-things-every-hmmwv-or-hummer-owner-needs-to-know <

I believe Ted Gates wrote up a comprehensive check / to do list here on S.S. Search the "sticky" section at the top of the forum.

Reading up on the enter workings and then heading out to put the man, mind and machine to the test, is the reward for me. Rolling around on the creeper is way fun too. Got to try it. There's lot to see and learn from there.

It's the kid in me,

CAM

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks