• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NEEWB to Deuces. Looking to get first Deuce (need sage advice)

rustystud

One of the biggest differences between a 40+ year old vehicle and a new one is EVERYTHING on a 40+ year old vehicle has to be considered End of Life until verified otherwise. This includes things like the frame and large pieces of metal. 40 years of salt corrosion can turn a over designed frame into a ready to break pile of rust running in formation. All rubber and plastic is likely toast.

Unlikely you will know the full history of any deuce you look at so try to have someone with you that knows about them.

My prime PU is a 75 Chevy C10 and it gives good daily service but I know the history on it since my dad bought it in 1978 and it has been in the family since. I am lucky to live in a low road salt state but rust is still a problem. But it can do pretty much everything a new 1/2 ton can and in some cases more due to a full length and width bed. And repairing it doesn't require a computer.
Well said.

rustystud

I disagree with the "older trucks are a big hassle" statement. Older trucks, like the M35A2 are bulletproof if you maintain them properly. That being said, beat it hard and you should expect to put some $$ into fixing the stuff you break. These trucks have been around for years and were designed to be serviced/serviceable in isolated areas/regions. No complicated electronics, no CTIS stuff, no automatic trannys, just a truck designed to do its job under very harsh conditions.
I don't agree with the statement that "older trucks are a big hassle" either. They are high maintenance though. Just like "DeadParrot" mentioned in his post. All parts should be considered "at end of life" , especially after 40 to 50 years of service. I was extremely lucky to find and buy a 1988 Deuce with under 50,000 miles of documented use, but even so there were many parts that needed replacing. The rubber parts alone after 30 years have all started to deteriorate. That as one of the first major projects I tackled. Almost all the wiring was rotting away (at least the connectors where) . Replaced everything from under the dash to the front end and back end. Totally rebuilt the cab. The list just goes on and on. Does that mean the truck is a "hassle" ? No, I knew what I was getting into. Any older vehicle would have the same problems.
The whole original question from the "OP" was buying and using a truck that was "trouble free" for at least 10,000 miles.
That basically eliminates "any" vehicle on the road that is over 20 years old. I could go out and buy a 2008 Chevy truck and after only 50 miles have the transmission go out, or something else major. Unless you "Know" for a fact that the transmission has been rebuilt or maintained properly you cannot depend on it. That goes for every major part on that truck.
Are deuces more trouble then the average truck ? Yes they are. Just by their very nature they shack more causing loose bolts. They cause more driveline "stress" then a normal truck. They "leak" more causing other problems like rust and corrosion to wiring. The suspension design causes severe wear to bushings. The list goes on. The fact is though we all "LOVE" our deuces and take them with all their faults. Now does this type of vehicle lend itself to someone who is looking for a "trouble free" vehicle ? Lets be honest, the answer is no.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given the way many of us feel about our trucks, maybe a good parallel would be something like this...

A guy walks into an adoption agency and tells the receptionist "I'm thinking I'd like to try out adopting a kid... I'd feed, clothe, and shelter 'em, but I really don't want to spend any more time or money on 'em than that. Oh, and I need 'em to behave until I don't need 'em anymore. Truth is, I just want to have a kid around to do yard work" . The receptionist, without breaking eye contact, slowly reaches into a drawer and pulls out a can of pepper spray... ;-) MN

Last edited:

rustystud

Given the way many of us feel about our trucks, maybe a good parallel would be something like this...

A guy walks into an adoption agency and tells the receptionist "I'm thinking I'd like to try out adopting a kid... I'd feed, clothe, and shelter 'em, but I really don't want to spend any more time or money on 'em than that. Oh, and I need 'em to behave until I don't need 'em anymore. Truth is, I just want to have a kid around to do yard work" . The receptionist, without breaking eye contact, slowly reaches into a drawer and pulls out a can of pepper spray... ;-) MN
OK "MN" , that was funny.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks