• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new project

VASteve

I just bought this last weekend. It is supposed to be a 1954 M38A1. The first thing I had to do was replace both batteries. The fuel tank inlet was covered in evaporated gas (lacquer) I flushed the tank and it started right way, needs a serious tune up though. As you can see it needs a new paint job. Whoever did the paint did not know what they were doing. Those are invasion stars from 1944. No M38 would have them, and I believe that the font maybe wrong as well. Most of my time in the Army was spent in deserts, so before I choose a paint job I would love to see some authentic pictures, taken the 1950's, of M38's in desert tan. Otherwise, my grandfather was stationed in Augburg in the mid-late 50's with the 5th Inf. Div. So, I may mark it up with his unit's numbers.

I say it is supposed to be a 1954, the dash data plates have been replaced and there are no numbers. The patent plate behind that passenger seat is missing. I could not find a chassis number either. The VIN on the bill of sale is no help, it is invalid. I am waiting for the title so I can check for a miss print. It has a single large bolt under front grill, radiator support rods, battery box secured with cam lever and distinctive seams in the side of the front fender all point to a second generation M38A1. I would appreciate suggestions on locating serial numbers. Tonight I am going try and locate the engine block serial number, but I suspect it is a recent rebuild.

Regardless, I love it and it should provide years of pleasure. I took my wife for a ride inside our neighborhood. She said it brought back memories. When I met here in college I had a 1977 CJ-5 and we spent many summers with the top down on that old thing.

Attachments