• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Short air pack rebuild kit?

nickd

Of the 2 types of air packs for the deuce there is a kit for the longer style available. Does anyone know if there is a specific kit for the newer style shortened air chamber air pack? Where can I get one? Part number?

Thanks Guys!

Steaminjim

Lot fewer parts in the short airpack. Took mine apart this PM and cleaned out the hydrolic side. Did not appear to be any wear on the air side - so I feel good.
jim

jeep-Jeep

Got a truck with locked up brakes !!
got some turbine oil to oil the airpac with and realized it is the new stile with no oil plug on the end ?
need to know where to put oil in at so I do not mess anything up ?
any help would be appreciated

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a truck with locked up brakes !!
got some turbine oil to oil the airpac with and realized it is the new stile with no oil plug on the end ?
need to know where to put oil in at so I do not mess anything up ?
any help would be appreciated
Is the pedal hard too? If so, try cracking a line then make sure there is play in the brake pedal.

jeep-Jeep

yes it is hard I will try that .
I was told by sarge to oil the air pac then exercise it in a field but i am not quite sure of all the symptoms since a buddy drove it to my shop when the problem started .
the rear left locked up so we adjusted the left side looser and bleed the air pac then drove backwards to free up and it came loose but now if you apply the brakes they lockup so I was going to oil but it is the short version and the plug is not in the end so I want to know if you put oil in the other end or what

dabtl

You can remove the airline on the long air packs to insert oil. Sometimes the square plugs are difficult or impossible to remove. I suspect the same cure for the short air pack.

dabtl

I have not pulled a short air pack apart yet. But, it uses the same front brake cylinder as the long air pack. Most of the air pack parts are for the brake cylinder portion.

The air chamber portion of the long pack is a felt strip and a rubber gasket for the cylinder.

I suspect a long air pack rebuild kit would have everything you need but the gasket for the air chamber, just looking at them.

There may be other differences I have not observed, however.

shorI have hydraulic pressure, meaning I can stop the truck at low speeds but I have very little pedal and it seems the line pressure is low.

I have experienced where it has been low, driven then parked, the next day, pedal came back completely. Any Ideas?

Like Jeep Jeep above, I have the style of airpac where there is no plug on the back, how do you lube those?

Short AirpaK:

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I had a shorty sitting there when my old style long one went out. It was a direct swap for me.

You DO have to watch out for the "gotchas" though. Somr of the old air packs had the brake switch on the front of the output. You will want to swap over to the air pressure switch if you have that old style switch(run off brake fluid pressure).

welldigger

I wonder if it would be worth converting a Deuce to the short air pack?
Only if the one on your truck is bad. In all honesty, I don't believe you would notice the difference between the 2.

I will say this though. I'm also sure someone will disagree, but I believe the short style is a little easier to maintain. Only in that I don't believe they need to be lubricated or are supposed to be lubricated. They didn't add an oiling port like the long style has. The air piston is simply a rubber cup seal. There is no felt wiper, or other material, to hold oil. Just keep your tanks drained so water doesn't eventually fill the air canister on it.

The previous owner of my truck didn't believe in draining air tanks apparently. There was so much water in the air system of my truck it was belching out of the air slobber tube under the hood. I still have a giant rust stain from that. Moral of the story. My air pack was rusted solid and completely destroyed. Had to buy a new one. I went with a short one since that's what was already there. Has worked fine for almost 2 years.

Reaper651

Hmm, The truck I'm getting does have one issue, the brakes don't work. I have not got the truck yet so I don't know what the problem is on the brakes. So the long style has a felt seal and the new style has a rubber one. That sounds like an improvement to me.

welldigger

I wouldn't say the long style has a felt seal. Rather, it has a wiper to hold oil and coat the walls of the air cylinder.

Keep in mind I'm not trash talking the long style. Just my observations. If I had a long style on my truck I would not be concerned in the least bit. Or if I came across a long style cheap or more readily accessible then I would gladly use it. In fact the long and short are easily interchangeable. I just went back with what was already on my truck.

rustystud

The long style uses a rawhide type of seal along with the felt wipers. It also has a longer stroke for pushing more brake fluid.
If your looking for a rebuild kit for the short style "monkeyboyarmy" has them. Good price too. $90.00 each. I got 2 kits just 3 weeks ago. He's a great guy to deal with.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks