• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Short air pack rebuild kit?

brianp454

Thanks for the tip! I sent him a PM

The long style uses a rawhide type of seal along with the felt wipers. It also has a longer stroke for pushing more brake fluid.
If your looking for a rebuild kit for the short style "monkeyboyarmy" has them. Good price too. $90.00 each. I got 2 kits just 3 weeks ago. He's a great guy to deal with.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TNJ Murray has both the short, and long rebuild kits, their part #, for the short kit is RN-25T.
I've purchased several of those from TNJ Murray; they've worked perfectly each time and I'm very happy with TNJ Murray's customer service.

However, I'm always left with one O-ring when using these rebuild kits, and can't figure out where it's supposed to go...

rustystud

012.jpg
I've purchased several of those from TNJ Murray; they've worked perfectly each time and I'm very happy with TNJ Murray's customer service.

However, I'm always left with one O-ring when using these rebuild kits, and can't figure out where it's supposed to go...
If you look at the manual I uploaded you will see on early models there is a recess cut into the cylinder where the canister mounts too. The 'O' ring fits there. The cylinder on the right has the recess for the 'O' ring.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the manual I uploaded you will see on early models there is a recess cut into the cylinder where the canister mounts too. The 'O' ring fits there. The cylinder on the right has the recess for the 'O' ring.
AH-HA! Thank you!! I haven't see any early model shorties then, only the later-models without the recess.

Thanks!! [thumbzup]

peashooter

View attachment 484436

Thanks for this info Rustystud. I'm rebuilding my 2 Long style airpacks that came off my 1988 deuce and they are like the ones on the right with the o-ring recess. Unfortunately my rebuild kit comes with no o-ring for these but rather the gasket for the one pictured on the left. I took these airpacks apart long enough ago that I cant remember if there was an o-ring on there or not. Think I'm okay just using the gasket?

rustystud

Thanks for this info Rustystud. I'm rebuilding my 2 Long style airpacks that came off my 1988 deuce and they are like the ones on the right with the o-ring recess. Unfortunately my rebuild kit comes with no o-ring for these but rather the gasket for the one pictured on the left. I took these airpacks apart long enough ago that I cant remember if there was an o-ring on there or not. Think I'm okay just using the gasket?
You would probably be OK since they eliminated the "O"ring recess on the later design. On mine I went ahead and just put a Viton seal in since I have a assortment kit. The biggest issue I have found on these air-packs is the bore. If it is not completely smooth, the seal will catch and allow brake fluid to pass by. Over time this brake fluid will find it's way into the air chamber causing problems with the leather seal.
That's why I went with the newer short style air-pack. The short style has a better sealing system between the brake fluid and air chamber. The only draw back is the shorter stroke. I plan to go with the 1-1/2" wheel cylinders on all wheels. I will be using two air-packs though so hopefully I will not run into any trouble. Also the shorter style has a better air valve system. The long style has a pin hole which allows the piston to move back (eliminates the vacuum created) . This pin hole can be easily plugged. The newer style made a much larger area to eliminate any vacuum being created by the valve moving thus allowing the valve to release quickly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks