• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering wheel questions

KI4FKW

When I bought my truck it had a tiny GT steering wheel on it. I had the factory wheel, so I decided to put it back on.

Two things. First, the steering wheel has a little bit of front to back play in it. As in, you can grab the wheel and tilt it towards yourself and the dash. Not a whole lot, but enough to feel like crap. I searched here and watched a ton of youtube videos, but all I can find are things about fixing the loose tilt function with the three torx screws. The tilt function doesn't move. It is solid. It is the wheel itself that is loose.

Also, can anyone point me to details about the horn mechanism? I feel like I am missing something in the horn button.

Then, I need to align the wheel. I think I can figure that out, but as of now, its crooked with the wheels straight.

cucvrus

That tilt column is not stock on the CUCV. I would say change it to a standard CUCV column. But they make a tool to tighten the tilt joint. I done it years ago and then I changed the column. Good Luck.

KI4FKW

Full of surprises she is... well, everything on it works well, so I guess I will stick with it. I would like to fix the looseness and see if I am putting everything together correctly for the horn, if anyone is familiar.

joshuak

Have you checked the nuts that hold the steering column to the dash image bellow from TM-34 and IIRC there are a couple more in the engine bay.

SC1.jpg

And here's an image from the TM-20 with details of the horn mechanism.

Horn.jpg

Last edited:

KI4FKW

Fantastic, thanks.

The column itself is stiff. It’s only the actual wheel and yoke that have a little play. Not even the tilt part is loose, which i find is common.

nyoffroad

Fantastic, thanks.

The column itself is stiff. It’s only the actual wheel and yoke that have a little play. Not even the tilt part is loose, which i find is common.
Never had that happen but to center the wheel is easy, just loosen the lock clamps on the drag link and with the engine running and the wheels straight turn the adjusting sleeve until the steering wheel is straight. Don't forget to lock down the clamps!

cucvrus

Never had that happen but to center the wheel is easy, just loosen the lock clamps on the drag link and with the engine running and the wheels straight turn the adjusting sleeve until the steering wheel is straight. Don't forget to lock down the clamps!
Be sure to turn the center that the link is drawing the threads in. I seen a few that were barely any threads holding the link together. You get the same results going the other way. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks