• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Georgia CDL or Class? License to drive FMTV?

JimmyThompson

Hey guys, are there any requirements beyond a driver's license (Class-C) to legally drive an FMTV? I've got the itch but I don't want to scratch a deep hole!

Last edited by a moderator:

coachgeo

Hey guys, are there any requirements beyond a driver's license (Class-C) to legally drive an FMTV? I've got the itch but I don't want to scratch a deep hole!
as you might guess this question has been asked thousand times. Little search will get you far.

quick answer.... NO (for the LMTV) in most states

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You only need a class C in Georgia if you don't plan on going over 26k or are not hauling for profit.

Some members who own 5 tons in Georgia get a class E license which is an easy written test and no driving test involved. The class E is a NON Commercial class A license in that state. I always tell people to take the read the handbook for the A license, take the written test atleast, so you obtain some knowledge of air brakes and other knowledge that only pertains to the larger vehicles.

https://dds.georgia.gov/license-classes

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Class E license in GA and it allows me to pull a trailer legally, a M1082 is not legal to pull behind my LMTV with a Class C. My license states Commercial Use Prohibited with the Class E

scottmandu

It depends on what you mean by FMTV.. The term FMTV encompasses the LMTV (max gross weight 23500 lbs) and the MTV (with a gross weight of up to 44500 lbs). With the LMTV all that is needed is a standard passenger car license (class C in Texas). For the MTV, one needs a non commercial Class B (again for Texas) . Some states have an air brake endorsement that will be needed for these trucks.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If not driving for profit in Georgia, the Class E Non-Commercial license is a no brainer. It is basically a 20 question multiple choice test, 3 forms of ID and a new picture. There is no driving test or medical card like a CDL. It covers most any vehicle/trailer combination that doesn't require a special permit. Special permits can be aquired though if needed. There are no endorsements for this license since air brakes and others are already included.

Honestly, whether needed for your vehicle or not, I'd take the hour needed to get it and never look back. They made this super easy to aquire in Georgia and there aren't any negatives. Take advantage of it whether you need it or not. Nothing to even debate here...it's just that easy.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To hit on one more point, there is the Form DDS-36 you'll need to print, fill out and have notorized. This form is in lieu of a learners permit, which this class doesn't have. The form allows for self-certification and will need to be submitted at the time of the test at DDS.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I got my class E with the endorsement code to pull a semi trailer do to my fifth wheel, in GA. this endorsement is needed for any truck that has a 5th wheel because it is assumed that if you have a 5th wheel, you are going to use it, does not matter if you do or not, also got the air brake endorsement because that is needed as well, without both endorsements, the DOT, LEO can give you a hard time including giving tickets if he is having a bad day, donut shop is out of his/her special donuts, ect., then it is up to you to fight it in court.

I knew nothing about a DDS-36, never filled one out, the lady behind the counter asked a few questions, one was why a pulling a semi trailer endorsement, told her because my truck has a 5th wheel, other then that a walk through .

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my class E with the endorsement code to pull a semi trailer do to my fifth wheel, in GA. this endorsement is needed for any truck that has a 5th wheel because it is assumed that if you have a 5th wheel, you are going to use it, does not matter if you do or not, also got the air brake endorsement because that is needed as well, without both endorsements, the DOT, LEO can give you a hard time including giving tickets if he is having a bad day, donut shop is out of his/her special donuts, ect., then it is up to you to fight it in court.

I knew nothing about a DDS-36, never filled one out, the lady behind the counter asked a few questions, one was why a pulling a semi trailer endorsement, told her because my truck has a 5th wheel, other then that a walk through .
Sorry Ron. Tried to reply last night but some things came up.

See item #2 under Additional Notes at the very bottom of the link below:

https://dds.georgia.gov/non-commerical-drivers-license-class-e-or-f

When I went to get the license, I ended up with the supervisor of that DDS location handling all the paperwork by chance. I asked a lot of questions, with one being how to obtain the endorsements I wanted. She stated, same as the website, that there were no endorsements. She seemed very knowledgeable on the subject since she had no problem answering the questions, and even showed me the computer screen which had no endorsement options.

Several years ago this license was called a Non-Commercial Class A and I seem to remember the option for endorsements. I never had one of those so I can't confirm though. Did you have a Non- Commercial Class A and then swapped to the Class E after the change? I started with a Class E so maybe this is the difference? I got mine a little over 2 years ago coming from a standard Class C.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sorry Ron. Tried to reply last night but some things came up.

See item #2 under Additional Notes at the very bottom of the link below:

https://dds.georgia.gov/non-commerical-drivers-license-class-e-or-f

When I went to get the license, I ended up with the supervisor of that DDS location handling all the paperwork by chance. I asked a lot of questions, with one being how to obtain the endorsements I wanted. She stated, same as the website, that there were no endorsements. She seemed very knowledgeable on the subject since she had no problem answering the questions, and even showed me the computer screen which had no endorsement options.

Several years ago this license was called a Non-Commercial Class A and I seem to remember the option for endorsements. I never had one of those so I can't confirm though. Did you have a Non- Commercial Class A and then swapped to the Class E after the change? I started with a Class E so maybe this is the difference? I got mine a little over 2 years ago coming from a standard Class C.
Well as I read it I did, the lady behind the counter agreed, the air brake thing as well as the semi trailer, if I never get asked about either great, but if asked, I am covered, plus in some states, there is no question on needing or not, don't have = ticket, being I drive mostly big trucks well over 26,000 lbs. this is called CYA.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So,,,, you do recoveries for free?
Depends, FUEL for sure, then depends on mission, distance, time spent on mission, AND who it is, and a few other things, I never have made extra money on wrecker recoveries, It ALL goes in to the care and feeding of the 819, as far as driving recoveries, yes I make a bit of extra $, but driving a MV 500 to 1500 miles is worth something if the owner does want to deal with it, recovery and getting it shipped is worth something just setting up a fair shipping price on a trucker that I trust, again because the owner does not want to deal with it.

If someone starts out asking FOR FREE, that someone will get a Fast F--K YOU and CLICK because I never except anyone to do something for me FOR FREE.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well as I read it I did, the lady behind the counter agreed, the air brake thing as well as the semi trailer, if I never get asked about either great, but if asked, I am covered, plus in some states, there is no question on needing or not, don't have = ticket, being I drive mostly big trucks well over 26,000 lbs. this is called CYA.
Oh I'm with you. I'm just trying to understand how you were able to get endorsements on a class of license that already includes many of them. There is just not an option in the system to add them since they're already there. Air brakes and double/triple trailers fall under the class automatically. I don't remember the others off hand. Anything Hazmat is not covered because nobody hauls Hazmat "not for profit".

Im not disagreeing with you. I'm just trying to figure out what is different here. I'll give DDS a call Monday and see what's up. There's an explanation somewhere. Just have to find it.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Oh I'm with you. I'm just trying to understand how you were able to get endorsements on a class of license that already includes many of them. There is just not an option in the system to add them since they're already there. Air brakes and double/triple trailers fall under the class automatically. I don't remember the others off hand. Anything Hazmat is not covered because nobody hauls Hazmat "not for profit".

Im not disagreeing with you. I'm just trying to figure out what is different here. I'll give DDS a call Monday and see what's up. There's an explanation somewhere. Just have to find it.
Doubles/triples are actually different then straight semi trailer, when I took the test, the air brake/straight semi trailer parts were added to the test as per the lady behind the counter, all I can say is that right or wrong, this is the test I took. I asked about the semi trailer/AB thing because how I read the dmv thing, she said yes after asking why I was asking, she also asked if I was a firemen because in most times it is a firemen getting a class e and that not many 26,000 lb.+ trucks are in private hands that ARE NOT commercial, I told her it was a BIG ARMY truck, she just said ok with a strange look..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks