• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Air Force" M35A2 trucks

JohnnyReb

I had recently noted references to late model "Air Force" trucks that seemed to have more upgrades and one particular external feature of the lidded exhaust....
Are these trucks limited to the Air Force bases or maybe Guard units? Can they be found on Army or Marine bases? For instance is this an example of an "AF" truck at Lejeune? i.e.:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
all that could mean is that the USMC bas was the closest DRMO/GL point to the USAF unit..

The flapper valve is NOT present on all the USAF trucks from the factory.. It was a add on at the unit level..

And that folder on the seat in the pic... Thats the $$$ item if it is what I think it is....

mangus580

Wow... are we gonna hash this out again?

e22, could you point me to a link or 2 of the old threads? I will combine them....

JohnnyReb

Gotcha, I understand about the relocation of equipment to a DRMO?GL site, but I guess my question is more broad...
So trucks are only going to be USAF? If the flapper valve is not a sure fire indicator then another way to tell? The unit #'s have been painted over on this example...

DanMartin

Pretty much if it's an '88, it should be USAF (most likely). Note also that the bus parked next to it is painted USAF blue, so that's another good sign that it came from an AF base (assuming they all came in to the DRMO lot at the same time).

I haven't seen flappers on anything other than USAF trucks (not a 100% guarantee, but pretty good indicator). One sure-fire way to tell is to look for the tower signal sticker on the dash somewhere. If it came off of a USAF base, it'll have that sticker. I can't tell if there is one from the auction pics.

JohnnyReb

580, Looked back at the previous threads but could not find an answer to the question;
Dan, I agree... I was encouraged by the blue bus next door;
Kenny, you just put me back to square one with the info on the door markings;
I am confused.....(which is not an uncommon condition for me).....

Crash_AF

Well, the door markings are NOT 100%, my unit in Germany back in 1994 had M923/5s and our markings were on the bumpers. We had the unit markings on top and the Reg number on the bottom.

The clean 'license plate' spot on the back leads me to believe that it was an AF truck, lots of units do that for whatever reason.

And I also agree that the aerodrome stickers on the dash along with the big blue seat belt sticker on the map compartment are dead giveaways if they are there.

Later,
Joe

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, let's try not to talk about auctions that are ongoing. Attaching a pic is one thing, attaching a link to the auction is another...my .02 cents.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at some AF trucks at DRMO, Barstow. Outside, they looked the same as all the rest. Inside, I think they have every option available..heater, fording kit, parking brake light, low air light. They all had a blue, rivited on plate that had the DIS and warranty start date just above the gauge panel, and the blue seatbelt decal. They was very low miles, but rusty.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been in three branches of the service. Marine Corps, Army (National Guard), and Air Force (National Guard). From what I've seen, (and I know this isn't a, "rule"), the Air Force just always seems to have the nicest stuff. Nice, clean, straight, cared-for vehicles. At the Air Guard base in Ohio where I do my drills, there are some pristine M35A2s and A3s!!! Wow! If they ever went to GL for auction, I'd bid like a mad-man!!! Awesome trucks!!

I wonder why that is.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few reasons.

The USAF doesnt go to the field like the Army does, and USAF maintainenece proceedures are the same across the board, from aviation to ground items. The same high quality methods are applied to each item, no matter if it is a jet or a ground hop unit.
The USAF has MUCH less trucks to maintain than the Army does, so more attention can be paid to each piece of equipment.

I can sum it up this way. Army ground maintaince is usually done "good enough to get it rolling for now" while USAF maintainence is done "by the book everytime without fail like someones life depends on the smallest detail"....

wyomingjeep

From what i have seen in the AF is if it is not a aircraft the AF does not really care. We have the best civilian vehicles because they are looked at as disposiable. In terms of tactical vehicles they are not good at all because they are not replaced as often.

Crash_AF

wyomingjeep said:
From what i have seen in the AF is if it is not a aircraft the AF does not really care. We have the best civilian vehicles because they are looked at as disposiable. In terms of tactical vehicles they are not good at all because they are not replaced as often.
But on the other hand, they're not used as often either so they aren't beat to heck and back.

I will agree that vehicle priority is lower for non flying units, I was in Civil Engineering and we had some crappy trucks because we were lowest on the vehicle totem pole.

wyomingjeep

Well as a flightline patrols are hummers are run 24/7 and we only shut them down to refuel so in terms of not being used that often i do not know any way they can get used more. The AF replaces stuff due to mileage so they are low mileage but super high on hours. So they do not get replaces that often

JohnnyReb

To Moderators:
Just became aware of the rule against GL link postings. As you know my topic was how to identify an "Air Force" truck and I used the link as an example rather than promotion of the particular sale.

I edited the original post and deleted the link. Sorry about the violation.. (I have struck the back of my hand with a ruler 10 times as punishment...sufficient :roll: ) (would have let my wife do it but I didn't know if she would stop at 10 or limit the beating to the back of my hand!).

Thanks
JR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks