• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting From Generator to Alternator

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This morning around 4:30 while out with the dog I smelled the faint but unmistakable smell of electrical burning. I walked by the deuce and caught a strong whiff. I disconnected the batteries and started looking in the cab and under the hood. Yup, you guessed it, stupid Generator. Lucky it didn't burn the truck down. I had a previous incident with the generator on my HMMWV which had done it's best to try and catch fire while I was driving about 2 weeks ago. So after I converted that to an alternator I purchased another one to eventually change the deuce over as well. Eventually came sooner than I expected. I was pretty simple using 1-1/4" x 1/4" bar stock, some grade 8 bolts, and a spacer. Anyway, here are the results.

View attachment 744558View attachment 744559View attachment 744560View attachment 744561
Where did you get the alternator?
Dave, Longwood, FL

Barrman

I converted my Gasser M35 from a 25 amp generator to a 60 amp alternator. I had to change the pulley. Everything else mounting wise was a direct bolt on. Wiring of course was different.