• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105a2 advise

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Alright so my connection to haul my m105a2 trailer to the GA rally has fallen through, so now I need an alternate to get it there. I don’t have anyone else in my AO to assist in transport, nor the money to pay for transport. Loading 1 trailer inside another, or loading it in the bed of my M923 isn’t an option either. So I was considering mounting a spare hitch on the rear of my other m105a2 that I camp out of and towing 2 trailers at once.

Any quick tips or advise? Safety is of utmost importance above all! Time is ticking

Zed254

You are from GA. 2 trips in the truck should work. That said, I was surprised to see a UPS tractor pulling 3 trailers in OH a couple weeks ago. I have seen doubles, but the triple surprised me.

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Is this the trailer you are intending to sell and or trade?

Rick
That’s the one! I have a modified 105 with stretched frame, on m35a3 wheels, and an s250 shelter that will be behind the truck, and considering pulling the other behind it

Scrounger

You are from GA. 2 trips in the truck should work. That said, I was surprised to see a UPS bobtail pulling 3 trailers in OH a couple weeks ago. I have seen doubles, but the triple surprised me.
Bobtailing is driving a tractor with out a trailer. Triples are legal mostly west of OH and use 28’ trailers. Further out west they have mountain doubles with 48’ trailers. Out in Wyoming it is not unusual to see tandem axle tractors with a lift axle pulling doubles and the trailers are a triaxle with three lift axles. Then add in the dollies having four axles, with twenty axles that is a lot of tires to check.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ll just offer this advice, if you tow M105s double, put about 500 lbs in the front of the front trailer. You do that, they will tow fine.

I have no idea if it’s legal or not. You see trailer dealers doing it all the time, towing new trailers from the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I’ll just offer this advice, if you tow M105s double, put about 500 lbs in the front of the front trailer. You do that, they will tow fine.

I have no idea if it’s legal or not. You see trailer dealers doing it all the time, towing new trailers from the manufacturer.
The extended 105 with s250 is the lead trailer and the 105 stripped down was going to be the follower.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
The extra trailer is sold and being picked up after the rally, thanks for the help everyone.

The final plan I had was to attach a spare Pintle on the rear of my extended M105 and reinforce the rear channel, then build a light jumper pigtail to connect to rearmost trailer and take it into town to see how it handled;

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The extended 105 with s250 is the lead trailer and the 105 stripped down was going to be the follower.

That could still cause you problems, depending on how the front trailer with the shelter is balanced out. You just have to make sure you have enough weight in the front of the front trailer to counterbalance the tongue weight of the rear trailer. If you don't account for this, it will make the front trailer tongue light, and cause it to fishtail. Once the first trailer starts to fishtail, it will cause the rear trailer to really start swerving, and will get progressively worse until things get really out of hand.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That could still cause you problems, depending on how the front trailer with the shelter is balanced out. You just have to make sure you have enough weight in the front of the front trailer to counterbalance the tongue weight of the rear trailer. If you don't account for this, it will make the front trailer tongue light, and cause it to fishtail. Once the first trailer starts to fishtail, it will cause the rear trailer to really start swerving, and will get progressively worse until things get really out of hand.
And this happens with absolutely no warning. It goes from no wiggle at all to thrashing side to side trying to snap your hitch instantly.

I'm not the most cautious, but I wouldn't tow double 105s...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks