• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831A - Generator Head Swap?

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be game but before we go down that road we need to verify that the engine is J609B compatible.
Need someone to verify the bolt circle diameter on the 831 as well as the output shaft dimensions.
Alrighty, I'll get those measurements in the morning.

I also took amperage reading when the set is placed in the run position, it peaks at 3.4A and settles to 1.5A.

profo

That's correct just go to eBay they got some 24vac at 8 amp chargers for around 40 buck and they take I'm 100-265 vac. I used these on some mep-003 5kw I built , I'll try to find link!

Keeping the existing charger seems like a bad idea, since it's a hard to find item. Might want to use maybe a battery tender, should run fine as long there is a battery on set. I don't think it would supply voltage with out a battery. Kinda wondering what the amperage draw is when set is on run position. Going to check that soon

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

profo

Before we get too excited we need to verify if the 831's engine is a J609A, J609B or some other mounting pattern and shaft setup.
j609b I used the 4500 watt from northern tool direct bolt on! I'll take pictures tomorrow! With this gen head it will fit into mep-831 enclosure but you will have to remove inverter,pmg alternator,speed control actuater. And move contactor toward where the inverter was!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks