• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MN registration advice for new owners

martinv

Goal: Help deuce owners get their vehicle registered properly with minimal issues. I want more and happy deuce owners.

Here are my findings before and after registering my deuce. Some of this is my interpretation of the MN statutes and should be considered opinion. Please feel free to add your thoughts.
Before going to the DMV, I wrongly assumed there would be no issue thinking "If a person can have a giant motor home that weighs 26,000 lbs the deuce will be no problem".
I believe according to the MN statutes it isn't a problem, however to the clerk at the DMV, it will likely be confusing to deal with at a minimum.
Some of my findings while at the DMV:

1. Insurance is required before you can register.
  2. The clerk at either location (it took me 2 attempts) was not an expert on the MN statutes which define what they need to do. (Not slamming them, just how it was).
  3. My deuce was registered (I believe incorrectly) as a 1 ton pickup. I think she knew it wasn't a match, but the only other option she could find was to tell me it can't be registered so she was trying to help. This forced the Gross Vehicle weight limit to 15,000 lbs. This means I can only add only ~2000 lb to the already ~13,000 lb vehicle.

What I learned after the DMV:
  1. Learn the vehicle related statutes for your state that may apply to the deuce. Know what should be done so you at least have the ability to explain what you believe should be done. Since that day I spent hours reviewing the statutes and created a document with the relevant information to my situation so next time I go in I can hopefully register it properly.
  2. At lest in MN, it appears the proper category for a deuce (for non-commercial use) is simply called "TRUCK".
    I believe my deuce is currently registered as a "One-ton pickup" (which appears to be incorrect):
    168.002 DEFINITIONS.Subd. 21b.One-ton pickup truck. "One-ton pickup truck" means any truck resembling a pickup truck with a manufacturer's nominal rated carrying capacity of one ton. If the manufacturer's nominal rated carrying capacity is not provided or is not known, then the value specified by the manufacturer as the gross vehicle weight rating as indicated on the manufacturer's certification label must be 10,001 pounds or more, not to exceed 15,000 pounds, in accordance with the definition of "commercial motor vehicle" in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, section 390.5
    I believe this is the correct category (TRUCK):
    Subd. 37.Truck. "Truck" means any motor vehicle designed and used for carrying things other than passengers, except pickup trucks and vans included within the definition of passenger automobile in subdivision 24.
  3. The DMV clerk quickly insisted the deuce must be a "Commercial Vehicle" (seemingly because it was bigger than a One-ton pickup). However, according to the MN statutes "Commercial Vehicle" is more based on the operators or usage of the vehicle. E.g. for business purpose or not.
    (From 169.011 DEFINITIONS)
    Subd. 16.Commercial motor vehicle.
    "Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:(1) has a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds;
    (2) has a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds and the combination of vehicles has a combined gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds;

4. Taxes are based on total gross weight. You can decide how much the max weight you want to carry is an pay based on the weight.
  5. USDOT number is NOT required (assuming you don't use it for "intrastate commerce on interstate commerce":
    168.185 USDOT NUMBERS
    (a) Except as provided in paragraph (d), an owner of a truck or truck-tractor having a gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds, as defined in section 169.011, subdivision 32, shall report to the commissioner at the time of registration its USDOT carrier number. A person subject to this paragraph who does not have a USDOT number shall apply for the number at the time of registration by completing a form MCS-150 Motor Carrier Identification Report, issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, or comparable document as determined by the commissioner. The commissioner shall not assign a USDOT carrier number to a vehicle owner who is not subject to this paragraph.
    (b) Assigned USDOT numbers must be displayed as required by section 221.031, subdivision 6. The vehicle owner shall notify the commissioner if there is a change to the owner's USDOT number.
    (c) If an owner fails to report or apply for a USDOT number, the commissioner shall suspend the owner's registration.
    (d) This section does not apply to (1) a farm truck that is not used in interstate commerce, (2) a vehicle that is not used in intrastate commerce or interstate commerce, or (3) a vehicle that is owned and used solely in the transaction of official business by the federal government, the state, or any political subdivision

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar experience the last deuce I registered. I used to register them with "Y" plates=truck plates and rate them at 26,000 or less if I wanted to save a bit on tab costs. However, the last time I was in at the same DMV I always use they said I needed a DOT # to use Y plates. I explained to them it was not for any commercial use but they still refused to give me the plates I asked for. They would only issue me "non-commercial" plates and register it as a 1 ton and 15,000 GVW tags. I like the fact is says non-commercial on my plates but I wish I could have a higher weight rated sticker in case I wanted to haul something heavy.

martinv

That is interesting. Your plate doesn't start with "Y"? I got the "non-commercial" plates but mine starts with Y.

I believe the MN DMV is obligated to follow MN law. The problem is they may not understand it, or may interpret it different and i'm not sure the best way to go about explaining it to them without just making them upset. One option i'm considering is printing out the MN statutes and highlighting the relevant info for next time I go back in and see if I can get the generic "Truck" classification which has no 15,000 lb weight limit. Show the relevant statutes and say "I want this option which meets the criteria in the MN statutes"...
The way things were going on my initial attempts, I was just happy to come out with any option to drive my deuce, however, I don't like seeing people restricted for no valid reason and hope to find some way to update the state system, training, etc.

Last edited:

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya I guess mine do start with Y but they are not the typical weight rated plates like I'm used to, they are like yours limited to 15,000 lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks