• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

unidentified part in my hub

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
am doing my PM's on my front hubs (M936a1) and have finished one front wheel. started to pull the inner seal on the other and broke my seal puller. then realized this side does not look like the other. it has a big copper washer - ring seal that appears to be in front of the normal inner seal??? What is this big copper washer?? why is it there??

PART_1541279126246_Resized_20181103_160635[4692].jpgPART_1541279135463_Resized_20181103_160626[4694].jpgResized_20181013_084357[4578].jpg

the third picture is the "normal" other side that I have completed (what I expected). the second picture is the inner axle seal with the big copper washer (what ever??) what I found. and the first picture is me holding the new inner seal up so you can see how the copper part is installed and its size.

so what is it? and how do I get it out? I have ordered a more "robust" seal puller so maybe just a harder whack will pop it and the seal out.

was thinking this might be some kind of "fix" for a messed up hub???

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Axle shaft waster. Part number 7346986. #29 in the picture below. It is for the axle so it is not rubbing on the seal directly.

Pulling the seal is best done this way. Use a slide hammer with one jaw on it. Pull the retainer with it and install the new seal into it. then reinstall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkC1aSqRaxs

Attachments

Last edited:

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simp5782, thanks, so it appears that was missing from my other side then. guess I need to get one and re-open the hub up and put it in.

but on this side, this copper seal seems to have bonded to part 31 (part your friend boggered up) and or to the seal behind it. not sure which, but it is stuck in there hard enough that a screw driver prying around (but not hitting it) did not budge it.
thanks again.

I got the Gabriel shocks yesterday. set them top x-firm, will be interested to see if they make any noticeable difference. the old shocks appeared in good shape (no leaks and worked in both directions).

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nope... sadly i didn't know to look for it. took everything neatly apart and put in the new seals and boots etc... repacked the bearings, and back together. no extra parts at the end...LOL

well now that I've done it - it will just be a pain but should go pretty quick. lug nuts will be the longest part.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just re-pulled the driver side axel (after completing the PM) and the thrust washer is missing. so will try and find one, oshkosh is out of stock, have a request in to big mikes.

next related question - when i did the drivers side i thought i "knew" which way the inner seal was to be installed. after pulling the passenger side, i am no longer sure.
so new question - which way do this new inner seals go?

pic 1 is the old seal I pulled out, this side was facing out of the hub,
pic 2 is what I call the washer side of the new inner seal
Pic 3 is what I call the back side of the new inner seal

old seal.jpgnew seal 1side.jpgnew seal 2side.jpg

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
axle washer in hub

The following maybe old news for the veterans, but for novice first timer's to hub maintenance (me) this was not obvious and took a couple of tries. When installing the axle washers it is critical the washer is fully seated (which is hard to judge) in the hub land. at least on my truck, the clearance between the seated washer and the axle is about 1/32. the first two times i tightened down on the spider, thinking the washer was "fully" seated, the axle bound up and would not turn. took two more tries of pounding on the washer to get if fully seated (hate hitting things too hard, but this truck is teaching me to hit things harder..LOL). on my truck the distance between the axle seal face just behind the washer and the washer is about a fingernail gap.

So advice is: once you think you have it seated, test fit axle and the spider and tighten down with two or three spider nuts only, then verify the axle rotates freely. if good, then do a final assembly.

the axle washer is the copper ring in the picture and keeps the axle from rubbing on the axle seal which is just behind it.

PART_1541279135463_Resized_20181103_160626.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks