• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to customize my shifter knob if possible?

shawnshumvee

Hey Guys, I'm looking to customize my shifter knob and was wondering if it were even possible being an automatic? I searched and haven't found anything so I don't know if it's even possible with the humvee? I was able to customize the transferase shifter knob (piece of Cake) because it resembles a manual transmission. So i was looking for some information, tips, tricks or what ever regarding the ability to customize the humvee shifter. I was wanting to use the Grenade theme again. (SeePic). Just looking for some help.
Thanks in advance.

IMG_6276.jpg

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a thought the other day that the hilt end of a bayonet might make an interesting shift knob. Cut the blade the appropriate length below the crosspiece then weld on a threaded female portion to accept the shifter rod. I suppose you could tack directly to the end of the shifter, but I think the ability to remove the knob in the future would be desirable. I'm sure someone more imaginative than I could figure out a cleaner way to attach.

I've seen posts here about having a grenade knob causing problems with security access points or law enforcement. While I think grenade shift knobs still looks neat, it's been done before. Why not something more unusual?

shawnshumvee

I had a thought the other day that the hilt end of a bayonet might make an interesting shift knob. Cut the blade the appropriate length below the crosspiece then weld on a threaded female portion to accept the shifter rod. I suppose you could tack directly to the end of the shifter, but I think the ability to remove the knob in the future would be desirable. I'm sure someone more imaginative than I could figure out a cleaner way to attach.

I've seen posts here about having a grenade knob causing problems with security access points or law enforcement. While I think grenade shift knobs still looks neat, it's been done before. Why not something more unusual?
Yes, a bayonet would also be cool. I was actually pondering that idea but kinda ruled it out seeing how i already have the grenade on the 4x4 shifter. But I'm considering the thought again. I just can't get around the push button problem on the automatic shifter.
What did you have in mind as far "unusual is concerned?" Yeah the grenade thing is getting a bit old but can't really come up with other ideas that are doable and have a Military Theme or would fit the Humvee in some other fashion. So I'm Just looking for ideas and open for suggestions.
Thanks

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The button issue is problematic. I was thinking in terms of a standard transmission. I’m don’t exactly know what constitutes “unusual”, I’m not terribly creative. However, I’m sure some other steelsoldier has a great idea for an unusual shifter!

shawnshumvee

Yeah, the button is a roadblock. I'm not all to creative either that's why I kinda put the word out. After all, it was Charles H Spurgeon once said,..."He who will not use the thoughts of other men’s brains, proves that he has no brains of his own"

Thank you

Last edited:

Wire Fox

In the wonderful world of 3D printing, anything can be a shift knob. The basis of that button design is that the main body should have a hollow cavity large enough to slide onto the shift lever with a cross-pin to secure it in place. On the top, you need a hollow cavity to allow the push button to freely move on its own, but have some flange, tabs, or similar so that it can't escape out the top of the knob. With some careful 3D design, anything can be that shape without the need for a distinct button on top (the whole piece could move instead, or the button could just recess when pushed).

That should allow the types of people that like skulls and whatnot all over their truck to be pretty happy.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you could use a modified hand grenade, with a clever reworking of the side lever on the grenade to operate the shift button shaft. But you will have to drive it with the pin pulled......

Rick

shawnshumvee

In the wonderful world of 3D printing, anything can be a shift knob. The basis of that button design is that the main body should have a hollow cavity large enough to slide onto the shift lever with a cross-pin to secure it in place. On the top, you need a hollow cavity to allow the push button to freely move on its own, but have some flange, tabs, or similar so that it can't escape out the top of the knob. With some careful 3D design, anything can be that shape without the need for a distinct button on top (the whole piece could move instead, or the button could just recess when pushed).

That should allow the types of people that like skulls and whatnot all over their truck to be pretty happy.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
Yes 3D printing is rapidly growing the only thing is cost and availability and that's all i know about 3D printing. However, you make a good point when you state the whole piece (object) can move up and down instead of a button in the center of the object movie only. That 's where my line of thinking is right now, having the whole object move not just a button.

shawnshumvee

I think you could use a modified hand grenade, with a clever reworking of the side lever on the grenade to operate the shift button shaft. But you will have to drive it with the pin pulled......

Rick
Thats what i'm looking to do, so if you have any ideas please share them because i have literately spent days trying to think on it could be done and i'm just drawing blanks.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all, it looks like you have a three speed, so you have a round shaft for your shifter. That's a good start.

Grenade shape should be easy on a lathe, or just get a wood or plastic ball and cut a hole in it with a drill press or a wood drill or circular hole drill. Cut holes to size exactly as they are on the shifter piece you're replacing. Then paint it green.

Top button should also be fairly uncomplicated, as it is also round. Then just take a grenade pin and attach to the center button. You might even consider just leaving the top button as-is and mounting the grenade pin to it. Either that or mount the pin to the side of the shifter handle so it doesn't interfere with shifting function.

RadioShack used to sell moldable plastic, but it gets soft at 210 degrees F, so on a hot day you might lose shape. Other companies might make something better.

I think 3D printing is overkill.

JEB

I've seen posts here about having a grenade knob causing problems with security access points or law enforcement.
Personally, I think a 5500 lb HMMWV makes enough of a "statement' without add-ons. :)

In today's hyper sensitive climate (both of increased security and anti-weapons/anti-military/PC, etc.) I'd forgo such items because a lot of people won't appreciate the humor/irony.

Seriously, I could see even a well meaning law enforcement officer calling the bomb squad if someone happens to look in your truck and sees and reports it. And, I'm guessing because of their rarity, people look in HMMWVs all the time. At the very least a blue band (or painting the entire thing blue...the recognized color for a training round) might not be a bad idea.

Likewise, I see one of the parts suppliers sells dummy 50 cal shells as key rings. Better hope you don't forget to leave it at home before you board a plane. The TSA would not be amused.

Just my 2¢s...and worth every penny. :)

Last edited:

Gear Report

I'm going to drill and tap the bottom of this fake grenade to go atop the transfer case shifter. No need to fool with a button on the transmission shifter. Grenade_gear_shift_knob.jpg
Besides, I pretty much never touch the t-case shifter. So, the comfort of the knob on top is a non-issue. The transmission shifter though, that gets handled a lot. Would need to have a lot more ergonomic considerations.

shawnshumvee

I'm going to drill and tap the bottom of this fake grenade to go atop the transfer case shifter. No need to fool with a button on the transmission shifter. View attachment 749250
Besides, I pretty much never touch the t-case shifter. So, the comfort of the knob on top is a non-issue. The transmission shifter though, that gets handled a lot. Would need to have a lot more ergonomic considerations.
Awesome! I already did the Transfer case shifter (your grenade looks better) I'm still thinking and trying things for the tranny shifter, got to have a matching pair. Post pictures when you get it on.

shawnshumvee

Personally, I think a 5500 lb HMMWV makes enough of a "statement' without add-ons. :)

In today's hyper sensitive climate (both of increased security and anti-weapons/anti-military/PC, etc.) I'd forgo such items because a lot of people won't appreciate the humor/irony.

Seriously, I could see even a well meaning law enforcement officer calling the bomb squad if someone happens to look in your truck and sees and reports it. And, I'm guessing because of their rarity, people look in HMMWVs all the time. At the very least a blue band (or painting the entire thing blue...the recognized color for a training round) might not be a bad idea.

Likewise, I see one of the parts suppliers sells dummy 50 cal shells as key rings. Better hope you don't forget to leave it at home before you board a plane. The TSA would not be amused.

Just my 2¢s...and worth every penny. :)

I Agree! The 5500 lb Humvee does indeed makes a statement with out add-ons, but i also agree with add-ons the Humvee makes even a "BIGGER" statement.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The three speed shifter has two removable threaded round pieces, the "knob" and the "plunger". They are "female" threaded.

Each piece is removed with counterclockwise rotation.

Then drill your knob "grenade" on the bottom to fit the handle and on the top to fit the threads AND the "plunger". Then make a "plunger to fit the upper hole and also fit the inner threads.

If you have a drillpress, this should take 20 minutes with the proper drills and taps.

You can even use the drillpress as a lathe if you want to in order to shape things.

The pics of a shifter are below for you to picture the male threads I'm talking about.

3 speed shifter.jpg

[ Above picture swiped from Interweb posting]

[EDIT - You can consider drilling only the underside of the "grenade" and then tap it for the inner plunger only. Drill the thinner hole first and then measure. Drill the outer larger hole 3/8 inch shorter. Then tap the inner hole with a LONG tap, or just fight to twist it on. Don't overtighten. Then just push your entire "grenade" down to shift. Remove the limiter washer on the outer threaded tube to allow a smaller hole that won't allow the device to flex every time you shift. Fit a small metal washer on top of the smaller diameter inner threaded piece to prevent overtightening and wear.]

Last edited:

shawnshumvee

The three speed shifter has two removable threaded round pieces, the "knob" and the "plunger". They are "female" threaded.

Each piece is removed with counterclockwise rotation.

Then drill your knob "grenade" on the bottom to fit the handle and on the top to fit the threads AND the "plunger". Then make a "plunger to fit the upper hole and also fit the inner threads.

If you have a drillpress, this should take 20 minutes with the proper drills and taps.

You can even use the drillpress as a lathe if you want to in order to shape things.

The pics of a shifter are below for you to picture the male threads I'm talking about.

View attachment 749778

[ Above picture swiped from Interweb posting]

[EDIT - You can consider drilling only the underside of the "grenade" and then tap it for the inner plunger only. Drill the thinner hole first and then measure. Drill the outer larger hole 3/8 inch shorter. Then tap the inner hole with a LONG tap, or just fight to twist it on. Don't overtighten. Then just push your entire "grenade" down to shift. Remove the limiter washer on the outer threaded tube to allow a smaller hole that won't allow the device to flex every time you shift. Fit a small metal washer on top of the smaller diameter inner threaded piece to prevent overtightening and wear.]
Thanks for the info. I'm currently working on a few prototypes will post when i get a working product.

JoeJrTheBarber

Look into the hot rod world for "custom" shift knobs.
Tons of good ideas that if you have a drill press and tap around can easily be adapted to a Humvee..

Stonewall

The button may be problematic, but how about instead of the bayonet hilt, cut the shifter lever below the plate, and have the actual bayonet "stuck" down into the plate. It would require a bit of fab, but would look pretty cool.

Stonewall

You cold get really creative and use the grenade lever to activate the detent button. Squeeze the lever into the grenade in order to shift. That actually might not be that difficult.

I'm going to drill and tap the bottom of this fake grenade to go atop the transfer case shifter. No need to fool with a button on the transmission shifter. View attachment 749250

shawnshumvee

Got it done today and thanks fro all the help and input you guys gave, I Just decide to drill the grenade and tap the trigger mechanism and then screwed it onto the shifter. So in short, the whole grenade goes up and down. I just thought it was the easier way to get the job done. I really want to do a bowie knife instead but still trying to figure it out. Any how, as promised here's the finish product.

IMG_4039.jpgIMG_1251.jpgIMG_1043.jpgIMG_4734.jpgIMG_1003.jpgIMG_5603.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks