• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mule not starting

mildoc

I’m having issues with the Mule starting. It was fine when parked about two weeks ago. I tried jumping it off and I figured it was the starter (guy it was bought from said it needed a new starter). Ordered a starter and installed it. I connected another battery direct to the starter and it spins but nothing more on starting. What other issues could this be?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have spark ? Fuel? mag switch on ? kinda hard to diagnosis from here , G503 site has a pretty good Mule information section . and before somebody else says it down load the the TM's . keep us posted , it should not be anything to serious , were you having issues before ?

mildoc

No issues before. It sat for about two weeks and I thought initially battery, jumping did help. Then I remember the previous owner said it needed a new starter, so I tried that. I’ll try roll starting when I get some help and see if it starts isolating that.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me ask this . is the starter not engaging the flywheel ?? if so sounds like a bad starter , or wrong starter . How are you jumping the starter ? did you jump it at the starter solenoid ??? could also be a bad flywheel ring gear . That could be a bigger issue .

mildoc

I’ve removed the starter and tested it with battery cables direct to it. It did spin. Ok how would I know if it’s a bad flywheel ring gear?
Tomorrow I will try a few more troubleshooting steps and measurements to see if the new starter should connect with the flywheel.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look in the starter hole with a light and you should be able to see if the ring gear is good or if the teeth are damaged in anyway . For the starter to not engage it would have to have some major damage , missing ring gear teeth . You should be able to push start it , but that gets old after a while . Just make sure you have the correct starter , did you get it from John Emery ?

mildoc

I got the starter from Mechanical Mules. The teeth looked good and I did move it in gear to make sure I saw those rotating. I’m now questioning if it’s as simple as the ignition switch has corrosion on it.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you get your ignition worked out, good fuel helps a lot!

My mule was always a cranky starter, I was using regular unleaded with additives and stabilizer.
I ran it sometimes on ethanol free aviation fuel, on which it started better, but ran rather hot.
Recently, I'm able to get ethanol-free fuel at several filling stations locally, so now use that exclusively in the Mule. It made a huge difference in ease of starting and how it runs. The Mule seems very happy with the change.

Back when I drove Mules in the Marines, our start procedure was -
Full choke
Ignition switch off
Four pulls on the starter rope
Ignition switch on
1/4" to 1/2" of choke (depending on the likes of the particular Mule)
Pull the starter rope and it fires right up

My personal Mule has electric start. Following the same procedure, but substituting a quick 1-2-3-4 count while pushing the starter button instead of the rope pulls with the ignition switch off, achieves the same results.
Mine likes 1/4" of choke.

Cheers