• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear budd lugs...

BadDaddy

So...looks like my first post here has to be a typical been question. Its apparently one of those "obvious" things that is consistently absent from all hub flip write ups.
Flipped my hubs no issues. The issue is with the threaded , square head "adapters" that retain the inner dual wheel.
Now I'm just assuming that after flipping the hubs, pressing the lugs back in, remounting the hub that these adapters go back on to essentially make it a 1" wheel stud. My issue is that these aren't seating all the way against the hub. I ran out of time today to test fit the wheel to see if it still seats against the hub itself or if the taper on them is holding them off.
Just wanted to check with you pros before I killed a bus full of chidren.

Btw...I searched so let's avoid the 19 useless suggestions to search instead of just telling me the proper way? Or if you just HAVE to be that guy, maybe better suggestions of WHAT I can search for. Btw...it's really hard to search fornuseful info when you have to wade through the first 3 pages saying "use the search button" so here we are.

Thanks!

rustystud

So...looks like my first post here has to be a typical been question. Its apparently one of those "obvious" things that is consistently absent from all hub flip write ups.
Flipped my hubs no issues. The issue is with the threaded , square head "adapters" that retain the inner dual wheel.
Now I'm just assuming that after flipping the hubs, pressing the lugs back in, remounting the hub that these adapters go back on to essentially make it a 1" wheel stud. My issue is that these aren't seating all the way against the hub. I ran out of time today to test fit the wheel to see if it still seats against the hub itself or if the taper on them is holding them off.
Just wanted to check with you pros before I killed a bus full of chidren.

Btw...I searched so let's avoid the 19 useless suggestions to search instead of just telling me the proper way? Or if you just HAVE to be that guy, maybe better suggestions of WHAT I can search for. Btw...it's really hard to search fornuseful info when you have to wade through the first 3 pages saying "use the search button" so here we are.

Thanks!
OK, your saying after you flipped the hubs the long "square drive" lugs will not seat properly against the wheel ? That there is a gap ? Is that correct ?
There should be no problems with the studs or lug nuts since the width of the flange on the hub is the same either way. Therefore there must be something holding off the wheel from sitting flush with the hub. Did you try mounting the wheels on the other hubs ? Did they behave the same way ?
Also could you take some pictures of the hubs and wheels being mounted.

BadDaddy

Thanks for the reply.
I have not yet tried a wheel on it, was running late, got as far as bolting the axle in, then slamming the budd lugs over the smaller ones, and noticed that not only did they not reach the hub flange, but they all bottomed out in different locations. So if the back of the wheel plate touches them then wheel will be floating with an air gap between it and the hub flange.
Note: I'm using MRAP wheels with adapter plates.

BadDaddy

Ok...some more digging through some other sites is telling me i either just need to use the budd nuts tonretain the wheel, or just order up a set of front wheel studs and nuts. I like that option better other than the price.
This sound correct to you guys?

Last edited:
OK, your saying after you flipped the hubs the long "square drive" lugs will not seat properly against the wheel ? That there is a gap ? Is that correct ?
There should be no problems with the studs or lug nuts since the width of the flange on the hub is the same either way. Therefore there must be something holding off the wheel from sitting flush with the hub. Did you try mounting the wheels on the other hubs ? Did they behave the same way ?
Also could you take some pictures of the hubs and wheels being mounted.
I think BadDaddy's talking about putting the square head nuts on first. (I can't recall what they're actually called at the moment...) Just for clarification the wheel must go on first against the hub, and then those square head nuts are what would hold the wheel to the hub. Many people choose not to use them when doing a single wheel conversion because they look a little weird with all of that nuts threads sticking out, but they will work. Just make sure to recheck the torque on them after a few hundred miles.

BadDaddy

You got it. I didn't realize that's how most were doing it. I sure don't like the smaller diameter stud so I'll prob just switch to front studs and nuts. With the MRAPS those BUDD nuts would be WAY out there in harm's way...
Thanks guys!

BadDaddy

Looking through my pictures...it appears You are correct...in not sure how I got it in my head that the rears seem to be about half the size...? I guess i worked too hard on a saturday!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Site rules request a state in your location.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok...some more digging through some other sites is telling me i either just need to use the budd nuts tonretain the wheel, or just order up a set of front wheel studs and nuts. I like that option better other than the price. This sound correct to you guys?
1) Your (rear) studs are OK to re-use, after a thorough, visual inspection, of course.

2) You can either re-use your so-called "thimbles", or use the regular 3/4"-16 lug nuts (like on the fronts) to mount your wheels. But you cannot put the thimbles on, first and then install the wheel because the thimbles will eventually bottom out on the studs and cause a gap left in between the hub mounting flange and the wheel center (or adapter plate in your case). That would be a big NO-NO!!

Related thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?67753-Lug-nuts-for-rear-with-super-single&styleid=6

rustystud

I think BadDaddy's talking about putting the square head nuts on first. (I can't recall what they're actually called at the moment...) Just for clarification the wheel must go on first against the hub, and then those square head nuts are what would hold the wheel to the hub. Many people choose not to use them when doing a single wheel conversion because they look a little weird with all of that nuts threads sticking out, but they will work. Just make sure to recheck the torque on them after a few hundred miles.
Thanks for the clarification. I was a bit confused as to what he was doing. It is so much easier to see a picture then trying to describe something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks