• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter options?

Miscexpense

This will also be my weekly update. Thank you all for the support. I was able to get the fuel tank and lines all back in place. But it looks like Murphy's law is still around for a little longer. I cracked the screw on the filter to get ready to bleed and got a "clunk" after 5-6 tries I was able to get about a 1/4 turn on the fan. I gave the starter a few love taps and still wasn't getting it to start. I found a thread on here that gave me some pointers on removal. I'm hanging up on something but I'm sure I don't see any other bolts and it's just the grounding strap getting in the way. If there is a trick I should know I'm all ears.

Is there a source for starters on here that I should contact? Figured I would ask on here first before scouring the net.

Dock Rocker

I know Michael Vaiden at Blackdog Customs has some new and takeout starters.

If it were me I would find a starter / alternator shop and have it rebuilt. It would be much less expensive. Make sure that you remind them a few times it 24 volt. That’s not a normal thing for most shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLK HMMWV

Just curious if you have tried turning it over by hand to make sure it's not locked up.
No intake cover when you got it. fluid of some kind in filter ?
( I think you said that)
What did the oil look like?
Weren't you planning on replacing glow plugs?
If you take them out look down inside each plug hole with a bore scope.

Keith_J

Two bolts by the ring gear, then the electrical and the bracket on the back.

DIY overhaul. Starter and alternator parts warehouse, you have to know if it is a 27 or 28. The 28 MT is the gear reduction unit and smaller.

Remember the HMMWV and CUCV share starters. So lots of experience in the CUCV section.

Dock Rocker

Two bolts by the ring gear, then the electrical and the bracket on the back.

DIY overhaul. Starter and alternator parts warehouse, you have to know if it is a 27 or 28. The 28 MT is the gear reduction unit and smaller.

Remember the HMMWV and CUCV share starters. So lots of experience in the CUCV section.
I would check that. I don’t think that there is a gear reduction for a hmmwv and I am pretty sure the mount is completely different. I haven’t done a starter in a Cucv in quite a few years but I think I am right on this one.

Hmmwv

Cucv

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This will also be my weekly update. Thank you all for the support. I was able to get the fuel tank and lines all back in place. But it looks like Murphy's law is still around for a little longer. I cracked the screw on the filter to get ready to bleed and got a "clunk" after 5-6 tries I was able to get about a 1/4 turn on the fan. I gave the starter a few love taps and still wasn't getting it to start. I found a thread on here that gave me some pointers on removal. I'm hanging up on something but I'm sure I don't see any other bolts and it's just the grounding strap getting in the way. If there is a trick I should know I'm all ears.

Is there a source for starters on here that I should contact? Figured I would ask on here first before scouring the net.
How do you know starter not rotating is not PCB related? Did you hook up direct 24 Volt to the large wires and then activate the solenoid with smaller 24 Volt wires? How do you know this is not a solenoid issue?

Did you drain engine oil and make sure no water is/was in there? Make sure U R not seized. Boroscope mentioned by BLK HMMWV really helps, and it is cheap.

I have had great luck with cracked screws that break level with engines by using a tiny Dremmel to cut a slot across the top, and then using a flathead screwdriver to get it out. If deep, spray with penetrating oil and use a small REVERSE cutting drill. Also work wonders while not damaging threads!

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I have seen commercialy built gear reduction starters on hmmwv's at fort dix. the starter housing is the same pinion and depth as a gm diesel. The dust cover on the lower bell housing must be removed to pull the starter, some have a starter access plate added so you don't have to remove the whole cover which also requires removal of the exhaust cross over. once all that is done its still a tight squeeze with turning the starter the right direction to remove it. I second the advice given about trying to bar the engine over first you may have something causing interfearance not allowing the engine to roll over. with the starter loose when baring the engine over you can rule out a jammed starter.

Keith_J

I would check that. I don’t think that there is a gear reduction for a hmmwv and I am pretty sure the mount is completely different. I haven’t done a starter in a Cucv in quite a few years but I think I am right on this one.

Hmmwv

Cucv

The image you labeled for a CUCV is the 28MT which is the permanent magnet gear reduction. The one you labeled for the HMMWV is the 27MT series field direct drive. They use a different end bracket but are otherwise interchangeable. Both are 24 volt. The 28MT is a lot easier to install.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Won't the side mounted Humvee solenoid hit the cucv frame? The stud for the front brace on the Humvee starter mounts the motor mount. The CUCV starter attaches to a small brace that mounts to the block. Isn't the stud location for these in a different location? Isn't the brace also different between the 27MT and the 28MT? Also if you try to use a 27 or 28 on a Humvee won't the top mount solenoid hit the exhaust header tube? The 27 and 28 will both work on a cucv. but the Humvee.
The image you labeled for a CUCV is the 28MT which is the permanent magnet gear reduction. The one you labeled for the HMMWV is the 27MT series field direct drive. They use a different end bracket but are otherwise interchangeable. Both are 24 volt. The 28MT is a lot easier to install.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just go to the classified section and contact a site vendor for the correct part, after confirming the starter is dead with my instructions above.

MHO...YMMV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks