• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Source for Intercom System

Vigual

Question About Power Source for Intercom System

I am planning on doing an installation of a vehicle intercom system in a HMMWV.

The intercom system needs a power supply, either 12V or 24V. I do not want to connect it directly to the battery.

What DC power sources are typically found in HMMWVs that could be used for this intercom system? I am hoping to find something already in the cabin of the vehicle, similar to the circuit breaking powering the radios in the following video (shown in the first 10 seconds of the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqmeTSDvmHw

I do not currently have access to the vehicles.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited:

riderdan

I'm not that master of all things HMMWV, but as far as I know, there is no "easy" way to get power like a cigarette lighter or other dedicated, fuse-protected source like you might find in a passenger car.

You either have to tap off an existing wire in the cabin--like thes one that feeds the instruments--or directly feed from something added to the battery box. The power cable and fuse box in the video appear to be one of those used to feed standard electronics (like a radio) that the military would install in a HMMWV. These are connected directly to the battery, though the output is fused. You can find these cables (and the fuse boxes) on the large auction site whose name dare not be spoken by searching for something like "Military Vehicle Radio Deck Power Cable"

Another option is a power distribution box (you can find these on the same auction site) installed in the battery compartment. These usually provide fused power and often have both 12v and 24v output.

An additional possibility is to tap power from elsewhere on the truck: the horn wire is popular because it's switched with the lights, meaning it's harder to forget and leave it on.

Others with more/better info will be along shortly.

tage

My truck is a ntc truck. It came with a fused jumper off one of the batteries for a 12 v accessory.

That said just run a fused line off of the battery, maybe use a relay connected to the horn as suggested.

papakb

For a low power intercom system you could pick up +24V power from the STE/ICE connector. POS will be on pins V & E. NEG will be on pins F & W.

STE-ICE connector.jpg

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You didn't specify what intercom system, but I have no idea how you would connect the VIC1 system without the standard cables either through a MX777 or directly to the battery as in mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks