• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 wont shift out of 1st--any ideas

gem1410

M998 wont shift out of 1st--Maine rebuild with 5k miles--6.5 gep--Fluid is at correct level and is clean--in low range at high rpm does not shift--on highway in hi range no shift either--reverse is ok and the shift from neutral into 1st feels solid-- --It has sat for 2 years in my garage--I may have purchased it not shifting--only now had time to play with it---Any ideas what might make it shift--thanks George

Attachments

Dock Rocker

Have you checked the shift linkage?

If the linkage is good drop the pan and see if it’s full of metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M998 wont shift out of 1st--Maine rebuild with 5k miles--6.5 gep--Fluid is at correct level and is clean--in low range at high rpm does not shift--on highway in hi range no shift either--reverse is ok and the shift from neutral into 1st feels solid-- --It has sat for 2 years in my garage--I may have purchased it not shifting--only now had time to play with it---Any ideas what might make it shift--thanks George
Which transmission do you have? 3 or 4 speed?

papakb

A bad governor can cause the vehicle not to shift properly. Kits are inexpensive online and the job can be done in the vehicle. There is a plastic gear inside that can fail along with some springs that can let go or it can just be gummed up from inactivity. TM 9-2320-280-34 section 7 talks about governor repair.

Here's how to check the governor valve: hold it by the plastic gear, and snap the weights in and out while watching the inner valve. It should be sliding up and down. If it's stuck, drive the 1/8" roll pin out, pull the plastic gear out, and then pull the valve out. Clean it out, lube it with WD40 and make sure it's free when you put it back together

youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Ry1Z92CGk

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Pull dip stick look in sunlight or flashlight and look for glitter, smell of burnt fluid. If you see metal next step R AND R. But as been said that since there is no vacuum source then cable adjustment, or has fallen off at contact points. Although it is possible the governor does stick, springs corrode fall out, gear pin or breakage, helps tailor shift points. Sticking valve body, again rarely but does happens.

Do not get abusive just probably a simple fix. As Dock Rocker has said also, I WOULD pull pan anyway for piece of mind if you have never had the trans pan down anyway, just for observation at the very least.

warcow105

Hey guys, just an update on this since I'm the one that bought the truck. I brought it to the trans shop and it turned out the kick down solenoid broke apart. The guy said he's been doing this a long time and had never seen that happen.
All is well except now I want to do an overdrive conversion since I hate hearing the poor engine scream over 40mph lol.

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks