• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the Swiss cheese cab

319cssb

The cab floors and cab supports on the passenger side of my m1009 are holier than anyone would appreciate. Is there a preferred place to buy replacement panels?
I came across places like LMC truck and now that I have sorted out most of the PMCS and things that were wrong, it's time to look into panel replacements.

cucvrus

Seeing some pictures would be helpful. LMC panels are not the best but I am going to say that nothing is an exact fit. I have bought LMC panels and used sections out of them to replace rusted floors in M1009 CUCV's. Many times I hammered out and fabricated panels from sheet metal and other donor vehicles. Having a welder is going to make things easier. Cutting and fitting the panels is the key to the finished job. And being a good welder is also of great benefit. Being a good grinder to clean all the surfaces is the first thing to getting great results. If you must grind all your welds to look good you are a good grinder. But pictures of your concerns would be helpful to help in the proper diagnosis. Merry Christmas.

diesel583

Try Mill Supply, I've used several of their panels and they fit better than most. A little trimming is always required. Be sure to cut out all the rust and treat the metal or it will come back.

319cssb

Well, Pretty much everything toward the edge is rusted. Rocker panel, Floor, supports, kick panel. The best would be to just take the entire shell and replace it. But it is still cheaper to fix what is there.

IMG_4518.jpgIMG_4519.jpgIMG_4520.jpgIMG_4521.jpgIMG_4522.jpgIMG_4523.jpg

cucvrus

Yes Sir that is going to need some work to make it nice again. That floor covering is the culprit. Am I seeing plywood. Gives a whole new meaning to the word floor boards. You may want to look for another M1009. Honestly I would walk away. Merry Christmas.

319cssb

Yes Sir that is going to need some work to make it nice again. That floor covering is the culprit. Am I seeing plywood. Gives a whole new meaning to the word floor boards. You may want to look for another M1009. Honestly I would walk away. Merry Christmas.
I bought this sucker a year ago from a Sheriffs dept. in North Carolina, They kind of failed to describe how the floors look and I payed quite a bunch for this truck. Yes, the floor boards were an upgrade courtesy of that Sheriffs dept.
So since It's my truck I can't really walk away from it. Merry Christmas

cucvrus

You can fix what you have. It will not be easy and it will take a lot of labor time. Fabricating parts, removing rust and installing panels is very time consuming labor intense work. I run from that stuff anymore. Smaller holes no big deal but floors and supports get into safety and liability in the world today. I fixed a few rusty CUCV's and I turned many away. If you want to do it yourself and have the ability. It can be done. it is a long slow process that needs to be done correctly to be done right and last. Merry Christmas.

319cssb

I an very detail oriented with the things I do, I wouldn't mind doing it myself, but I know that I am going to turn this into a huge mission creep.
And Merry Christmas

Matt5

Banned
Anything aftermarket now will be "junk", your looking at quite a bit of work... if you can find a new vehicle, damaged cab (tree damage or something), etc steal that... and toss yours... thats alot of rot for SC...

Tabco is a direct seller... they had fine stuff... no worse than anyone else... sherman iirc was fine as well (rock auto)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks