• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convert m172A1 to 17.5 wheels

paradisepete

Hello Everybody,

This is my first time posting but Ive been a long time lurker. ..I have a M172A1 lowboy with the 6 hole rim and I have been wanting to convert over to tubeless tires preferably 17.5. I have been looking around and have not found any definitive answers or found anyone as of yet who has done the conversion themselves on a m172a1... Im trying to find anyone who has done this or knowledge of...I will be moving this unit early next year and the tires are not the best so before I buy a set of tube tires Im trying to see if I can convert... Also on a side note has anyone tried to use 8.25 tires on this trailer?

Seasons Greetings
pete

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. To answer your question, yes, tubeless rims for the 6 hole Budd pattern exist for this trailer, DOD has been installing them on fresh 172A1 rebuilds at Red River Arsenal. I have no idea where to source them however. Meanwhile, the 10.00-15 LPT tires are quite plentiful, try Feltz Tire, also located at New Boston, TX.

paradisepete

Hey NDT,
Just an update. I reached out to Red River to find out if i can purchase the rims from them or get a lead on where I can purchase them and was told that i have to get in touch with the GSA (www.gsa.com) to get that information so im off to try and talk to someone on that end...
Also I found some rims that are 6 hole that may just fit the bill but Im not 100% sure..heres a link to them https://www.southwestwheel.com/p-5288-28145pkgry21.aspx

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That wheel is most likely what is being supplied. If you plan on using the trailer commercially, that is the way to go.

paradisepete

Just thought Id give you and update on the unit. I stuck with the original wheel size and bought a awesome wheel package from surplus. Cleaned up the unit which had almost no rust, Updated the brake system with 30/30 chambers and necessary valves, and the original landing gear is working, replaced the deck with some apitong wood.. I had the ramps but the guy who came for the 58 mack tandem cutt-off took them which im in the process of trying to get back....
Resized_tempFileForShare_20190411-105505.jpgtrailer1.jpgimagejpeg_3.jpgimagejpeg_2.jpg