• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smaller Steering Wheel

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible, perhaps feasible is a better term, to put a smaller diameter steering wheel on a 939 series 5 ton truck?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes. It is a 36 spline 7/8" diameter. Lots of tractor steering wheels are that size

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question would be why they are pretty small to begin with
I believe the answer to that was, "so they can still drive with handcuffs on". But that was way before political correctness...

74M35A2

I can totally see this, actually. The wheel diameter looks like a carry-over from the non-power steering days.

That’s a picture I snapped of Simp the last time he was up in Michigan, on our way to the Yacht Club for lunch.

snowtrac nome

all the 900 5 tons I drove had a lot smaller wheel than the old duce. what you should ask your self is how do you plan to control it in the event of a ps failure you would be hard pressed to steer it with a 20 inch wheel a smaller 15 inch wheel I would think It would be impossible.

dmetalmiki

Try to mount the seat further back.
And, Perhaps like I have on all my trucks, Lift up (re-drill and re-fit) the steering wheel mounting at the dash a little higher up.

Last edited: