• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Respectfully suggest a Growler forum as well.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah. Those things are now being auctioned off and they look pretty cool. I would also like a section on registration and street legality and insurance and such in the stickies to prevent known TOS issues before bad posts crop up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No matter how many forums we have, people will continue to post in the wrong forums.

Like this one originally was, now moved to the correct forum!

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, I try my best to be an active member here. Contributing as much as possible. Thanks for pointing out my ignorance.

Cutch

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Growler forum would be huge! Just received one of two and a forum would be helpful as these vehicles are now finally getting released and delivered. Personally, need recommendations to improve turning radius which is horrible and where to locate manuals. Thanks.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's a few things at play for the forum. Right now, the main objective is to move to a new software platform for the forum, and a possible redesign. Once that is settled, we'll be updating the forums.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Lionel I have been here a short time and try to participate and although I am not right or wrong always I do stick my head in there and get wacked now and then. I just had a good laugh tho as it really is about that, participating.

The Growlers when posted for sale I bet were looked at pretty well by the Troops. I looked at possible uses and are curious at some of the thoughts on that, uses.

Alaskakopp

Hopefully I'm in the right place to ask this question. If not I apologize in advance and would appreciate being directed to the right place. My question is, when looking at the Growlers not being auctioned on Gov Planet, I see that many have the rear steering linkage welded to the frame. Does anyone know why they are doing that to the vehicle? Is there a problem with the rear steering? Thanks in advance!

Cutch

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully I'm in the right place to ask this question. If not I apologize in advance and would appreciate being directed to the right place. My question is, when looking at the Growlers not being auctioned on Gov Planet, I see that many have the rear steering linkage welded to the frame. Does anyone know why they are doing that to the vehicle? Is there a problem with the rear steering? Thanks in advance!
I'm not 100% why- of my two, one was welded, one had plates put in instead of welds and only one of them had the rear steering rack still in place. Highly doubt finding this rear rack will be easy but improved steering is required without it somehow. I am reinstalling it on the "plated" one and will update with results.

Alaskakopp

Thanks Cutch

I'm not 100% why- of my two, one was welded, one had plates put in instead of welds and only one of them had the rear steering rack still in place. Highly doubt finding this rear rack will be easy but improved steering is required without it somehow. I am reinstalling it on the "plated" one and will update with results.
Thanks Cutch! I'm thinking about trying to get one, so I would be very interested in any thing you find out.

tjcusmc

I finally got my 1163 growler home a few days ago. I know some of them came with TM's, mine unfortunately did not. If anyone has any leads on where to get one it would be greatly appreciated. The manual is TM2320-OR/A. I cant find anything anywhere. Thanks in advance.

glengar

HI GROWLER fans...
I just posted a new GROWLER thread...
Looking to maybe get one as prices come down
Seems there are 2 locations... Albany,GA and Barstow,CA...both a long way from me
Heard the reason DRMO required rear axle steering be welded was to stop the 4-wheel steer as too many were overturning...
Also, the 1163 "shorty" was for mortars
The 1164 Ammo trailers are really cool also but only good ones seem to be in CA
Have not seen any ads selling them or parts in any M/V mags...
Does anyone know who is buying them?
Thanks
Glengar, in MD

Ras1

I have two growlers, both had the rear steering unit removed. I can tell you, this does not turn well at all. Without that rear unit, I have to do a three point turn to make a right turn. The front steering "rack and pinion" doesn't go far enough to turn like a normal vehicle. They have a lot of vibration, and the air system controls the suspension ride height and tire pressure. So far, lots of air leaks. missing other parts, like seats and doors, I think replacement parts will be trouble.

If anyone has parts let me know.

Dave

m1161

Hello Dave,
My 1161 steering problem was solved when I elevated it. Steering is terrible in the "down" position. If your air system is working, raise the machine to get full steering.
FWIW, removed the rear-steer welds, but have an "error" lite flashing so can't activate the system until I find the reason. It appears the rear-steer lock / unlock is air or pneumatic
and the rear-steer piston is hydraulic. Gotta clear that error lite before it'll work, I think.
Larry

Cutch

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Dave,
My 1161 steering problem was solved when I elevated it. Steering is terrible in the "down" position. If your air system is working, raise the machine to get full steering.
FWIW, removed the rear-steer welds, but have an "error" lite flashing so can't activate the system until I find the reason. It appears the rear-steer lock / unlock is air or pneumatic
and the rear-steer piston is hydraulic. Gotta clear that error lite before it'll work, I think.
Larry
Try the rear steering in first gear- just got mine working but only in first gear and only joystick. Same issues on various codes but this so far is all I've been able to get working with the original steering box (joystick box) and was not able to use the replacement box in the spare parts crate (it has a connector the original does not have and unclear where it goes). It seems the steering system is looking for codes from the shifter as far as gears and telling it when to lock/unlock rear steering.

Does anyone know if this is joystick only rear steering or if it should work inline with normal steering? Good luck.

m1161

Good Afternoon,
My rear steering is not functional. Since you said it works in 1st and reverse, I no longer get a fault indication. That was important to know!! Are you in a low or high range, 4 wheel or 2 wheel? The switch mounted next to the blank on the instrument panel is removed. It was labeled something like R Steering Pwr, I think. The label and switch are gone. A blank fills the switch hole now. Behind the "TERRAIN MOBILIZER" panel is a 2 pin male connector (red and black wires) that is unused. I have metered for voltage at the "air valve" for the "unlock piston" and there is no voltage to that solenoid. So, the controller is not activating the air solenoids. My question; do you have that Rear-Steer switch active on your M1161? If you do and it's part of the control system that is my problem. I find no voltage between the two pins on that connector that may have gone to the missing switch but I hesitate to do anything as the Joy Stick box has an encapsulated control circuit inside and damage could happen. Any input is appreciated.
Larry

Cutch

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Afternoon,
My rear steering is not functional. Since you said it works in 1st and reverse, I no longer get a fault indication. That was important to know!! Are you in a low or high range, 4 wheel or 2 wheel? The switch mounted next to the blank on the instrument panel is removed. It was labeled something like R Steering Pwr, I think. The label and switch are gone. A blank fills the switch hole now. Behind the "TERRAIN MOBILIZER" panel is a 2 pin male connector (red and black wires) that is unused. I have metered for voltage at the "air valve" for the "unlock piston" and there is no voltage to that solenoid. So, the controller is not activating the air solenoids. My question; do you have that Rear-Steer switch active on your M1161? If you do and it's part of the control system that is my problem. I find no voltage between the two pins on that connector that may have gone to the missing switch but I hesitate to do anything as the Joy Stick box has an encapsulated control circuit inside and damage could happen. Any input is appreciated.
Larry
Yes the rear steer switch active and power on at the joystick. Works in hi/lo 2 or 4 but only in 1st and reverse AND after you center it i have to reset by flipping power to clear codes and start working again. I have wiring diagram and test procedure that was in the spare parts crate that I have scanned and attached here. Hope it helps and keep us posted.View attachment LSV Docs.pdf

m1161

This is just great information. Many, many thanks. We've been trying to find the "locking pins" referred to on the warning sticker above the shift.
Did you find their location? We're absolutely stumped on where they could be!

larry

Cutch

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is just great information. Many, many thanks. We've been trying to find the "locking pins" referred to on the warning sticker above the shift.
Did you find their location? We're absolutely stumped on where they could be!

larry
Here are two pics of the pins I believe you are referencing-Pins 1.jpgPins 2.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks