• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Hood Design for MEP 803 generators

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I finally got around to making a new hood for the MEP 803a. Now there were several specifications that I had to meet.

1) Aluminum Construction.
2) Could take a tree medium branch strike without caving in.
3) Keeps water out of the engine exhaust
4) keeps leaves and snow out of the air exhaust
5) Can handle exhaust temperatures without screwing up the paint job
6) Room to add sound absorbing material

So I designed the hood for max airflow and clearance for exhaust with an exiting flap design. The hood was cut with the laser from a sheet of 3/16" Aluminum and then bent to make it one continuous piece that did not require welding. I made the holes a little larger than stock so the hood will use 1/4 20 bolts instead of the #10 bolts. Really easy to do as I just installed 1/4 20 rivnuts in the chassis. I then took a piece of aluminum and made a exhaust diverter / heat shield to replace the original exhaust flap. Now all that is left is to make a flap with a roll crimp that a rod will go thru. I am thinking about using Plastic instead of Aluminum. I would just need to weld a tube across the top of the plastic flap. Equipment issues with the roller but I will get that done soon. So tell me what you think so far guys.

Old hood

IMG_1576.jpg

New Hood

IMG_1591.jpg IMG_1604.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
I like it.

Would like to look closer, but its 6+ thousand miles away. How hard to remove it? One man job? Is the end lip on top of the Control panel top lid? Or even with the engine compartment lid?

Yeah, I like it.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right on top of the lid connection. I just used longer bolts :) I went ahead and changed mine to 1/4 bolts while I was doing it. Pretty much just unscrew the bolts and pick it up. Now I did put like 6 layers wide of packing tape above that air filter and below the holes so shavings would not get in the stator when I was drilling out the holes for the rivnuts! I bent a lip and put slots. It could have been a half inch longer but it worked. Just put a thin foam seal below the lip before fastening. No water coming in that way! I gave up on the plastic flap. Gets hot and deforms at 1/8 thickness. Going to make out of sheet metal and use a small magnetic strip to keep the flap closed when not in use. My buddy calmed me down. I had an actuator ready to open and close it to the angle I wanted. Just need a weight and that will do the trick to keeping the flap blowing air down. More to do. IMG_1572.jpgIMG_1589.jpg

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put it on by myself :) Easy to do.I cheated and used two padded wood working clamps on the exit side to rest on top of the generator at the right height. Then it was easy to walk around and put all the bolts in. I changed the heat shield by myself after the hood was on! I put rivnuts in the engine compartment lid holes that the old flap was bolted thru. I love rivnuts! I would bolt the heat shield on first now so rivnuts are really not required. I just didn't have a piece wide enough laying around to make one when I was dying to put the hood on.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking about making an 802 version since I am rebuilding one now. I asked the owner if he wants one. Waiting on a decision. Fun to build things but better to sell them :)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks