• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter interchange

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that the starter just went out on the 76 deuce. I cant hear a click over the low air buzzer. But the volt gauge needle does move when I hit the button. I was doing some checking around, cross referencing part numbers and came up with a delco part number for a 24 volt 39mt starter. It is an aluminum housing just like all of the semi tractors use. I was just wondering if it would work. Screenshot_20190406-170012_Chrome.jpg

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it has a spot in the bottom of the bellhousing for a plug. Doesn't have one in it. It has only been in deep water once. Over the tires. But it was 2014 and we went through the steer axle and replaced the seals and bearings. I'm not planning on doing any water driving but I will if it floods in town and people need help.

rustystud

I think that the starter just went out on the 76 deuce. I cant hear a click over the low air buzzer. But the volt gauge needle does move when I hit the button. I was doing some checking around, cross referencing part numbers and came up with a delco part number for a 24 volt 39mt starter. It is an aluminum housing just like all of the semi tractors use. I was just wondering if it would work. View attachment 760151
As long as it's a 39MT, 24Volt, CW rotation, with 12 teeth it should work fine. They are mainly used in Cummins Engines.
That's a good price too.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove the truck yesterday. Hauled a Buick skylark to the scrap yard in the bed. I did about 10 miles on the interstate. Got home, couldn't find the keys to a 98 Chevy truck that is next in line for the boneyard. Jacked up the rear of the truck and chained it to the lift shackle on the deuce. Used the deuce to move it around so I could get the car trailer out. Tried to start the truck and that's when I had the problem. Today I took the other deuce down to the garage and had a friend pull me backward as far as we could then I put it in 3rd gear and had him push start me. I didn't try to start it with the button before we moved it but after I shut it off we started it up 4 times with the button. I am just wondering if the relay by the manifold might have gotten some heat soak and didn't want to work.

rustystud

I drove the truck yesterday. Hauled a Buick skylark to the scrap yard in the bed. I did about 10 miles on the interstate. Got home, couldn't find the keys to a 98 Chevy truck that is next in line for the boneyard. Jacked up the rear of the truck and chained it to the lift shackle on the deuce. Used the deuce to move it around so I could get the car trailer out. Tried to start the truck and that's when I had the problem. Today I took the other deuce down to the garage and had a friend pull me backward as far as we could then I put it in 3rd gear and had him push start me. I didn't try to start it with the button before we moved it but after I shut it off we started it up 4 times with the button. I am just wondering if the relay by the manifold might have gotten some heat soak and didn't want to work.

The relay mounted on the block can get "heat soaked" pretty fast. I remounted mine on the frame rail just ahead of the starter. I have had no problems starting since.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks