• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 crane cable

Smokinyoda

Is it appropriate to use elevator cable for the booms on these trucks?

Found what I think is a pretty good deal on some US made elevator cable, just wanted to ask if anyone knew of any reason not to use it. I don’t have much info on it, was hoping someone on here was familiar with it. Figured for $100 it was worth a try, considering I only need 95’ I will have plenty of extra for other projects.

This is all I know: BRUGG 1/2" HOIST WIRE ROPE 165FT 819F-MRF-1/2

I realize this is not enough info for someone to say it will work, just want to see if anyone knows for some reason it won’t work before I try it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I've seen elevators have a 2500 lbs weight capacity just don't know if that's cable or the other equipment

Smokinyoda

That’s what I thought at first. But after looking on the inter web it seems all 7/16” is rated around 16k, 1/2” cable is rated somewhere around 22k, all 9/16” 27k, etc. Which surprised me since the max capacity of boom is 20k if retracted and supported. Not much of a margin for error. I realize that it being a 3part line the hyd motors load is reduced, but don’t think that affects weight rating of cable or boom. Not that it really matters as I would never get close to that weight anyway.

I think I've seen elevators have a 2500 lbs weight capacity just don't know if that's cable or the other equipment

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I got 100ft of 1/2" cable for like $120 from a rigging company in Nashville thru ebay. and that was shipped to my door next day.

Smokinyoda

I got 100ft of 1/2" cable for like $120 from a rigging company in Nashville thru ebay. and that was shipped to my door next day.
I saw that and was going to buy, but everyone I talked to said stay away from cable made in China. Sellers name was Groove industrial, when I told him I didn't want any made in china he offered to sell me the same but made in US and it was right at $300 shipped.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have had it on my wrecker over a year and if it can last me and what I am doing then it should be fine for other people. I can B.A.S.B. Break a Steel Ball. Long as you take care of it and grease it should be fine.

I do like american made but i hate that assembled in the USA with global parts or the fact that even made in the USA doesn't mean crap with the people doing the work don't take pride in their work and cheap out on the process.

Last edited:

Smokinyoda

I have had it on my wrecker over a year and if it can last me and what I am doing then it should be fine for other people. I can B.A.S.B. Break a Steel Ball. Long as you take care of it and grease it should be fine.
Thanks, now I wish I has asked on here about that. That's about what I paid for this stuff so hopefully its just as good. Going to call Brugg tomorrow and see if they can tell me anything about it. Checked their webpage and that part number is not listed. Probably to old, I noticed the label was hand written. You don't see that anymore.

rickpolak1

We swap out alot of cable / guy wires on communication towers and our main customers do not allow any metals from China to be installed due to the quality of steel used. I would stay away from it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks