• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-torquing the "new style" multifuel head gasket

JasonS

There have been a lot of posts indicating that the "new style" multifuel head gasket with built in fire rings is not to be re-torqued. This is inconsistent with the information in the White Motors service manual...

White Motors (and Oliver) used a version of the military multifuel engine in their farm tractors. The service manual references many changes over the tractor's lifetime. Specifically, at engine S/N 4014112 "new self sealing head gasket was used to provide improved sealing of cylinder heads under high operating temperatures. New head gasket has fire rings built into it as opposed to separate fire rings used with the old gasket."

I have examples of both the White Motors and "new style" military head gaskets; they are identical.

The White Motors service manual specifies that the "cylinder nuts are to be re-tightened after two hours of operation."

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can attest that the correctly torqued newest-style gasket definitely needed a retorque after the initial hours of running. I was surprised by how "off" some of the nuts were. I would recommend a retorque.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks