• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Magnetic Starter Relay M.I.A.

fpchief

My other deuce has it but my '71 M109 doesn't have the starter relay on the side of the block above the starter. Is the starter solenoid filling that capacity? I did notice that the #10 wire I repaired when troubleshooting no power to main switch is coming from the starter solenoid on this one...(I think)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jeepsinker

Not all trucks had them not sure why. I had surmised at one time that one type of starter solenoid drew less amperage than another, but I have no data to support that other than noting that all the trucks without a solenoid have had the bell shaped solenoid, where all the cylindrical solenoid equipped trucks I've seen except one have had the magnetic relay.

Anymore though, I honestly don't think it is required at all. I think they were a safety feature meant to keep soldiers from welding contacts in starter solenoids by cranking with a low battery pair, but I haven't really thought that through either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks