• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WW2 Ben Hur Restoration

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am beginning my restoration of a 1942 Ben Hur 1 ton utility trailer. This project will be my last restoration and follows my M35A2, WC51 Weapons Carrier and Ford GPW Jeep. I found this trailer on a farm in Northern California about 5 years ago and it was intended to matched with the WC51 which I recently sold and shipped to Milwaukee. Leaving nothing to tow it with, I will be selling in upon completion. It is in good condition but was missing several parts which I have purchased or fabricated. The restoration includes the wood side rails, top bows, canvas cover and all related hardware.

I have broken down the major component sections and will begin the sandblasting and surface preparation when the weather improves. Hopefully that will be in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Here are some initial photos.

BH 1.jpg BH 2.jpg BH 3.jpg BH 4.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a whole lot new but I have started the task of total disassembly so today was axle day. Removed both wheel stems attached to the brake drums. I must say that I forgot how stubborn mid 1940's parts and fasteners can be. God bless the torch. The bearings are in great shape but the oil seals are hard. Fortunately I purchased NOS seal kits about two years ago. Everything looks serviceable it is just a matter of the wire brush and the blast cabinet to get then looking new. Here are a few photos.

BH 6.jpg BH 7.jpg BH 8.jpg