• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 Removing the 5th wheel hitch- any suggestions getting the nuts off bolts?

Reworked LMTV

Hi Guys,
I finally getting to take the 5th wheel off to start my RV conversion. Is there anything special to these nuts or bolts? I'm using a HF 1" drive air tool. Metric or SAE? Hard to tell with paint on them : ) They seem to fight being loosened. Guess I should not be surprised.

Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Heat em up. Or Long breaker bar. 3/4" should do it with a long pipe. Also spray them with deep creep by seafoam. I would just take the torch and cut the things rather than screwing around with an impact

If you do not have a torch check craigslist for tanks. #3s should do you fine or buy the small setup from harbor freight or northern tool. Used tanks and a good torch will run $500 for everything if you use a torch often

coachgeo

Huck bolts. I grind them off.
there is a video somewhere of a fellow doing this... cut half to 3/4 thru with cut off wheel and then smacked it sideways with a small sledge and it broke right off cleanly. This method should create less damage to the part being removed. Granted somethings you can't get into with a cut off wheel or sawzall for that matter. Kudo's to Will for not doing it with torch.... makes his used products a cut above (ar ar ar ar.... pardon the pun)