• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Conversion

FordTruckGuy96

So to start off, I am putting 5 ton axles underneath a 1947 Ford 2 1/2 ton truck. The axles are non-air axles. I am looking to upgrade the brakes from drums to a lighter alternative. I was originally thinking of doing a pinion brake, but reading the forums here suggests that's not a good option. So I started reading on disc brake conversion. As far as I can tell I can use the parts off of a 03 F750 (pads, rotors, calipers). I also know that I need to have a custom bracket built to mount the calipers. Is there anything else that I need to be getting, like hub adapters or something similar? Any help is appreciated, I'd like to know as much as I can before I get into buying parts. Also I know that there are some kits out there, but I would like to try doing this myself, makes it easier to fix potential problems in the future. And I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 ton axles have 10 lugs.

2 1/2 ton axles have 6 lugs.

Which are you talking about?