Thread: 6.5 to 6.2 parts interchangeability?

Corporal
    Thanks

Default 6.5 to 6.2 parts interchangeability?

Im looking at buying a 1996 chevy truck that has a 6.5 TD and a 700r4 4x4 drivetrain. I am aware that the truck turbo manifold system won't fit the humvee amd i will be looking for a van intake and manifild system.

My question is on the 12v conversion. What parts could i put on my 6.2 block to maintain its strength over the 6.5 block issues? Glow plugs? Gp controller? Starter? Alternator?

And mechanically, is the serpentine setup a fit? Will the heads bolt on? Are the injectors different?

For the few hundred bucks this truck is for sale for, it seems like a cheap way to add most of a turbo kit, upgrade heads, 12v conversion, and overdrive conversion...

Corporal
    Thanks

Also, plan is to add a marine pump to keep up with the turbo and maintain the mechanical injection. Same reason for using the 7004r, no electronics

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,918 Posts

Heads on a 6.5 pickup version do not accept the van type induction/turbocharger.

Corporal
    Thanks

Really? I wouldnt have thought of that....

Thanks

If the truck is stock it will have a 4L80 transmission behind the 6.5. Not a 700R4. NDT is correct the turbo heads for the hummer/van models have a different angle for the intake bolts. Along with a turbo mounting port on the block for the oil feed and return on the turbo. All other parts are interchangeable
    Kenny
    1966 M35A2C
    1986 M105
    1952 M37
    1966 M101
    1986 M1028A1
    1988 M101
    1993 M998
    MEP003
    MEP002

Thanks

Come on guys... A marine pump on and army truck. CAMO

4 Star General Retiredwarhorses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 764 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broylz View Post
    Im looking at buying a 1996 chevy truck that has a 6.5 TD and a 700r4 4x4 drivetrain. I am aware that the truck turbo manifold system won't fit the humvee amd i will be looking for a van intake and manifild system.

My question is on the 12v conversion. What parts could i put on my 6.2 block to maintain its strength over the 6.5 block issues? Glow plugs? Gp controller? Starter? Alternator?

And mechanically, is the serpentine setup a fit? Will the heads bolt on? Are the injectors different?

For the few hundred bucks this truck is for sale for, it seems like a cheap way to add most of a turbo kit, upgrade heads, 12v conversion, and overdrive conversion...
    Donít waste your time and money, if your looking to upgrade your HMMWVís drivetrain, just buy a takeout Military turbo drive train.
    Retired War Horses Restoration

"Where HMMWV's is All We Do"

A Veteran owned business

www.RetiredWarHorses.com

So many HMMWVís I lost count years ago....