Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New member from Maine

Private
    Thanks

Default New member from Maine

Hello!
    I came here seeking knowledge and/or guidance.
    I live in Maine, and am making my home in the town of Norway.

Currently I do not own any steel soldiers- but I've got a one ton dump truck that I'm constantly underwhelmed with so I'm seeking something bigger.

Usage case:
    -Occasional use
    --less than 30 times on-road during the year, very likely never in the snow
    --Likely less than 50 miles a year offroad use, with varied duration
    --Rarely for towing big trailers/heavy equipment
    --possibly for plowing a long, uphill, half mile driveway
    -Recovery
    --to be used as a recovery/repair vehicle on my property
    --for dragging heavy/stuck things around (shipping containers, tractors)
    --for carrying tools needed at surprise worksites on the property (compressed air, battery charging, 120vac generator, etc)

And, of course, for the most important reason I'd want to own something like this... the giggles.

I don't really want to get my CDL for this, but I suspect in my state I will need it for towing.

I'm not sure exactly what vehicle I'm looking for, but I've seen both 2.5 and 5 ton 6x6 vehicles that interested me

Price range is somewhat low- I'd like to fund this by selling my current one ton dually dump, saving at least 30% of resale for inevitable repairs and maintenance that come with buying a big toy (Est resale value 10-14k)

I'll be reading around over the next few weeks, looking for local members and insight as to which vehicles may be better suited for me.
    Figured I'd say hello- but could very well wind up buying something like an 800 series dump truck instead.

Thanks

Hello from over the line in N.H. if it's under 26,000 here in most cases no cdl needed

Thanks
    Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,144 Posts

You need a Deuce M35A2 or a dump M59
    Maybe go talk to these people
    http://milparts.weebly.com/
    I was here, had a good time.

Thanks

Welcome from NC!
    1- M1078
    6- M1081's
    2- M1083's
    2- M1093ís
    3- MK23ís
    1- M936A2
    2- M925A2
    1- M923A2
    2- M998
    2- M1038
    4- M35A2
    M928A2
    M944A1

Private
    Thanks

Hey folks!
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

That weebly.com place sure does have an inventory! I might have to go talk to them, their prices seem far more reasonable than what I've seen locally.

Right now the only thing posted is a 2.5 tanker.

"1970 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2...Deuce and a Half...Military Truck (AKA M49 Tanker). Converted to Firetruck w/ 1000 gal. tank. 6x6, 45K Miles, 6 cylinders - Turbo, diesel engine, manual transmission. Brand new tires."

It actually looks really nice, but I really don't need a tank- a dump bed would be far more useful in my upcoming road-building project.
    Anyway I'll try to spend some of my free time reading up in here.

Is there any reason NOT to want to tow equipment with a 6x6 5 ton? I've got a 14,000lb backhoe I'd like the option of taking off site up to once a year. No trailer, yet... but my one ton doesn't come close to rated to tow that kind of thing.

Thanks

This sounds like commercial use. The Feds have decreed anything RATED (not registered) over a 26,000 to be a "commercial vehicle" unless exempted as a RV, farm use, historic vehicle etc. A trailer heavy enough to haul a 14,000 pound machine will require a class A CDL. The feds rDSC_0001.jpgegulate commerce and most states have adopted their licensing rules by reference so you will have to find out if your state has. The military has pintle towed equipment trailers which show up on Gov Planet and the classifieds on this site which are compatible with a deuce or 5 ton. Military air brakes will interchange with commercial trailers but the lights will not Illustrated is a M1048 5t trailer attached to a M35A2. It is 36" high so you would have to measure your machine to see if there would be overhead clearance problems.

Thanks

If you only need to move your machine once or twice a year think about hiring someone who has a truck and a CDL as it will be simpler than getting your own license if this is all you need it for.

Private
    Thanks

I have been considering hiring someone- honestly it isn't worth the hassle as I don't REALLY need the machine to move- it would just be nice to help out family.

It does sound awful commercial- I actually assumed going to a 5T truck I'd need my CDL anyway. I've not really looked into getting it but have family who has.

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the 5T trucks is because of their dump truck option- I've got 140+ acres of land and a half a mile (uphill) driveway. That road was a nice logging road, but it was neglected for ten years. Before I can build my house up there the road is going to need a lot of work, including bringing in a few dozen dump truck loads of material, as well as digging several loads out of the drainage ditches, moving tons and tons of material around the property.
    There are several options for picking up loads within ten miles, so short range dump trucking would potentially save me a lot in delivery costs, plus give me more control over delivery.

I suspect to haul a loaded 5t dump I'd also need my CDL, even if it's only a few miles.
    I'll start looking into those requirements, as well as insurance/registration problems in my area...

Corporal
    Thanks

You want to see a M900 series up close and personal drive over to Bridgton. I have a NICE 936. NO,it is NOT for sale,and wouldn't be what you're looking for. but it will allow you to see a 5ton and how they are set up

Private
    Thanks

I'll be up in Norway this Friday doing maintenance on the heavy equipment- if you're around I could swing down after.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast