• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog Starter issues

RoJoGro

[HR][/HR]When starting the Unimog very frequently (4 out of 5 times) I am getting just a glonking sound, seems the solenoid is not engaging fully and the starter motor would not turn.
At first I thought it was a grounding issue, since I installed a new (rebuild) starter, but now after the same issue remains with very good grounding (and jumper wires connected too) I am ruling out that there is a grounding issue.
It all depends on which position the flywheel stops. if it's a bad spot I am getting this glonking sound. If I keep hitting the starter (I actually use a small jumper to eliminate the wiring to the starter) often enough (10+ times) it may turn normally - but that's not reliable.
What does work is when I am turning the flywheel just a bit - maybe 1/2 a tooth.
I currently have the starter on the bench and it all works fine - but there is no load on it.
All the teeth have one side tapered. And the tapering matches the one side tapering on the flywheel.
On the bench when I only energize the solenoid the pinion throws to the end and makes a small turn.
The question I have is: does it matter which way it turns? with the tapered edge or against it?

Thanks for any thoughts

Attachments

Last edited:

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has someone changed the default font settings? I've seen a few posts now that are illegible due to the dark-on-dark colors.

SJ

RoJoGro

When starting the post, the background color is white and text is black - I did not change anything and left it as default.
Just now I changed the text color to white - which makes it invisible in edit mode :-(

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry RG, I should've been more clear: I was hoping an admin might see this thread and look into it - your posting is one of 3 (I think) similarly configured ones that I've seen in the past 2-3 days.

RoJoGro

[HR][/HR]When starting the Unimog very frequently (4 out of 5 times) I am getting just a glonking sound, seems the solenoid is not engaging fully and the starter motor would not turn.
At first I thought it was a grounding issue, since I installed a new (rebuild) starter, but now after the same issue remains with very good grounding (and jumper wires connected too) I am ruling out that there is a grounding issue.
It all depends on which position the flywheel stops. if it's a bad spot I am getting this glonking sound. If I keep hitting the starter (I actually use a small jumper to eliminate the wiring to the starter) often enough (10+ times) it may turn normally - but that's not reliable.
What does work is when I am turning the flywheel just a bit - maybe 1/2 a tooth.
I currently have the starter on the bench and it all works fine - but there is no load on it.
All the teeth have one side tapered. And the tapering matches the one side tapering on the flywheel.
On the bench when I only energize the solenoid the pinion throws to the end and makes a small turn.
The question I have is: does it matter which way it turns? with the tapered edge or against it?

Thanks for any thoughts
update (long overdue) ended up replacing the entire starter with a new one, after all it was still under warranty.
the replacement cranks and starts every time.

Ferretboy

Im no expert....but do have a 404. If the teeth on your flywheel and your starter look good then i would think about looking first at the wires to your starter motor...a good ground ect....