• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Tire pressure Opions

I have been running about 45 lbs in my Michelin X 14.5 R 20 tires that came on the truck when I got it . I have no spare yet because of how much they cost so I want to get the most out the tires. Since this is my first MV I'm asking y'all to share your knowledge and experience on this ...Thank you all in advance of your reply.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
45 pounds in the rears sounds good unless your hauling something heavy then I would inflate to what the tire says on the side wall. As far as the fronts I would run them up to what the sidewall suggests, on the front axle of that truck you have around 12K pounds empty!
KK

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about front tires vs the back two axles? I'd think you'd want a higher number in the front because they carry more load, presuming that you're not carrying anything.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about front tires vs the back two axles? I'd think you'd want a higher number in the front because they carry more load, presuming that you're not carrying anything.
The tires themselves are probably rated 110psi or so.

The wheels and o-rings are rated 65psi if I remember correctly. So 65psi is the max that tire/wheel/o-ring can be inflated to without exceeding rating of some components.

Maxing out pressure reduces rolling resistance and maximizes tire life, up to the point that the centers wear first.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maxing out pressure reduces rolling resistance and maximizes tire life, up to the point that the centers wear first.
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly. I read an article that purported the idea that many long haul companies inflate their tires too high, but not past the recommended max and this can lead to premature tire wear.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly. I read an article that purported the idea that many long haul companies inflate their tires too high, but not past the recommended max and this can lead to premature tire wear.
That is correct, but the premature tire wear is wear in the center of the tire. Higher pressure to a reasonable level increases economy and tire life. Just don't go too high.

winfred

on my 395s on mraps i decreased pressure till the tread blocks on the shoulders contact the road when i still had the 109 box on it it was around 35, with a drop side bed im down to around 30 and could stand to loose another 5 maybe, but im not sure i wanna go that low on the hwy, think im around 40-45 in the fronts

rustystud

When a tire is below the rated pressure the sidewalls flex a lot. This causes heat build up which in turn wears the tire out even faster. Always run the tires at the high end for max life, and lower for ride/comfort. Or when "off-roading" you can under-inflate them for better "grip" . Though this practice really wears the tires fast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks