• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pyrometers

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So I was able to pick up some pyro gauges for my trucks. They require a K type coupling. Is this the type that doesn't need power to work?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right, a thermocouple generates its own little voltage, which can be displayed by a non-powered gauge (including the K-type). You will need power for illumination, though....

Trango

If you calculate the amperage of the illumination requirements, you can easily wire a resistor in-line to allow 12v lights to run on 24v.

Best,
Bob

ida34

Or you could just order 24 volt equivalent bulbs. There is a cross reference in the Technical Articles section and the bulbs are cheap. I ordered some with extras for my gauges and the total was $16 with shipping for 10 bulb total.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Since the subject came up, I purchased a boost guage and pyrometer from Jegs.com a few weeks ago. They were around $130 for the pair made by VDO. In the past I have bought autometer guages and have never had a problem with the guages not function or not having all the hardware. VDO on the other hand, the boost guage did not come with any of the brass fittings or the plastic tube and the pyrometer isnt working. The guages look nice and match the stock guages but I guess you get what you pay for.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used my own tubing and such and use a 15PSI fuel pressure guage for boost.. It was not very hard, even for me, having been called "Mr. clean-wrenches".

Jakob

Re: RE: Pyrometers

cranetruck said:
Right, a thermocouple generates its own little voltage, which can be displayed by a non-powered gauge (including the K-type). You will need power for illumination, though....
What all is needed besides the gauge? I like the K-type guage that has the yellow and red bars in it for warnings. I can't really find out anything else about what's need to install this gauge though.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Pyrometers

VDO gauge requires 12 volt power and will not work on 24 volts. i calculated the current draw on 12 volts and used a resistor in series with the power to the gauge since it is a constant. i like the VDO better than others since it has a dc to dc amplifier for the meter and should be inherently more accurate.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pyrometers

Hey Bjorn did you ever get to see how much boost that 757 puts out and at what egt's? Is that blow by entry port factory or did you add that? I would really like to do something like that to keep the fumes in the cab at a minimum.

FreightTrain

Banned
Ummm,actually,Both....Also,if you use 2 gauges you can use standard 12 Volt bulbs.Just Hot bulb 1 to switched power,Ground bulb 1 to Hot bulb 2,Ground bulb 2 to ground.Instant "24V" lighting.

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
oh yea,those are Stewart warner gauges and I used the autometer probe kit.Works perfectly.No power run to them.One gauge is off.100 degree hot.Never goes to zero even when they showed up.I might swap out one of my zero reading ones.I know that when taking off from a light it goes to 900 degrees FAST and then nearly stops.Slowly climbs across the gauge after that and maxes out at around 1150 and WOT.I can hit 1200 on a hill after a long run.Think my truck is about setup perfect!Even though I might have to break out the super shims and adjust the fuel..........once I get a Boost gauge.......

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a pyro in my Cummins and the front half of the manifold runs a little hotter and moves up a little quicker than the side with the rear 3 cylinders. It will idle at 300 degrees, cruising at 72mph and 1975 rpm, it will read 610, and I can peg 1500 degrees in 12 seconds from a stop to 84mph. The gauge only reads to 1500 so I don't know how hot it would get 1800 probably (won't try it for obvious reasons).

I would really like to get a little more power in my deuce, but I don't know how much room there is and what the max temps are? My cummins is an 06' and it will take more heat than the older ones. Anyone actually measure the power gain by just adding fuel? My cummins gave me an additional 138HP and 368ft-lbs with just more fuel.

gimpyrobb

Well, I am finally moving forward on this. I have had Stewart Warner gauges like FT, they came w/o probes or lead wires. I have just ordered a
Hewitt pyro gauge(79.47 with LED back light)p/n 010-210 b/br,
3 probes(28.78 each)p/n 015-001-b,
and 4 lead wires(22.20 for the new style-plug and 20.00 for the old style-ring terminals)p/n 035-008(new) p/n 035-004(old style).

I will install all the Hewitt gear and get a baseline of results, then install the SW gauge and see if there is a big temp change. If not I will run the SW gauge with the Hewitt probes and wires on my other trucks. Hewitt

gimpyrobb

According to the numbers, $130.45 for a complete pyro setup. That does not include shipping. I can post the Hewitt # tomorrow if you need it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks