Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SouthWind 939J24 Coolant Heaters

Sergeant
    Thanks

Default SouthWind 939J24 Coolant Heaters

Anyone have reliability issues with these? Thinking about installing one in my camper build to feed the calorifer (hot water tank with coils) as the pricing on these is much better than something like an espar....but then I don't know how reliable/maintenance intensive these are versus a newer unit.

I've seen a couple Espar Hydronic10s going off auction occasionally but the one went for big money yesterday and I'm not sure what vehicles they were originally intended for.

Thanks!

Thanks

in the ak ntional guard we wound up pulling them and tossing them in a pile, we found the swingfire system to be much more reliable. You might take a look at some of the Russian combustion heaters, I have a planair air heater in one of my snow cat cabins, it is the same size as a 10530 it burns a fraction of the fuel. and is bullet proof reliable

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snowtrac nome For This Useful Post:

frank8003 (10-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,375 Posts

Agree with above, and I don't even have one installed. I have part of one, and have only seen others for sale in parts as well. This tells me that none of them work.
    CFO @ Portacharger

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 74M35A2 View Post
    Agree with above, and I don't even have one installed. I have part of one, and have only seen others for sale in parts as well. This tells me that none of them work.
    Interesting....that's worrisome then. I negotiated one down to $150 and it was NOS so all there, but I didn't realize that reliability was an issue. Why are these such an issue? I was planning to use one for heating a hot water tank that would, in turn, provide shower water.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,154 Posts

singfire burns gasoline
    SwingfirePamphlet750-5.pdf
    I was here, had a good time.

Sergeant
    Thanks

I like the ideas but I'd like something that burns diesel fuel...trying to carry just one fuel.

dumpsterlandingfromorbit! gimpyrobb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,883 Times in 4,628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sassriverrat View Post
    Interesting....that's worrisome then. I negotiated one down to $150 and it was NOS so all there, but I didn't realize that reliability was an issue. Why are these such an issue? I was planning to use one for heating a hot water tank that would, in turn, provide shower water.
    Maybe look into a "zodi" shower system. I got one for camping and use it for other stuff all the time! I can't say enough good about them.
    Don't worry about the size difference

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    Maybe look into a "zodi" shower system. I got one for camping and use it for other stuff all the time! I can't say enough good about them.
    Although I like the idea of the Zodi (I looked at a lot of propane options at one point), I'm trying to steer away from propane at this point because I don't have anything else that is going to use it. Further, the camper is based upon a shipping container and I'm scared to death of a leak, even with valves and such, and filling the thing with propane.

Sergeant
    Thanks

Anyone have any experience with the EASI-M80 heaters?

Thanks

The reason propane is used so much is its an extremely safe gas. Propane has a very narrow window that it will actually burn in. just because you can smell it doesn't mean there is a explosive hazard, as a fuel truck mechanic I work in vapor clouds all the time my big fear isn't the cloud going up because of what I do but the perimeter where the fuel air ratio is just right finding a source of ignition. Once ignited the fire ball will draw in air and everything becomes crispy real fast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast