Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Air intake replacement

Thanks

When that seal goes out on that can, you will be pulling water in when it rises to the level of the hub. Sheesh......
    Hydro lock is a violent death for a CAT.

Quote Originally Posted by SausageGuy View Post
    Attachment 779590Attachment 779591
    i saw this and snapped photos in case I needed to use it.
    Last edited by Reworked LMTV; 10-16-2019 at 10:39.
    1998 M1088A0 former KY National Guard vehicle

Many states have banned on road use of MV's. Even Canada has made driving them difficult. In a flash all of your work money and work is wasted. Watch your State Legislator closely! Band together to make sure this does not happen. This can be done by setting up an automatic send of all State Bill proposals. Once it's law, it's hard to get it changed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckouba View Post
    Never mind the dust when driving... Yeah, I saw that but couldn't believe that was considered a valid solution.
    Plenty of ya'll in here know way more than I.... myself don't see much issue with the OEM low mounted one when it comes to water.... is water really going to raise up from there all the way to the engine even under vacuum?

Dust... different issue. making a wide thin snorkel between box and cab (same square footage just different shape) would IMHO be a wise change. doing that would make it very similar to the 939 setup
    Last edited by coachgeo; 10-16-2019 at 11:37.
    One does not get troubles in life... just character building opportunities. Build on with a smile

Moderator: Orange Tractor Talks & AmbulanceRV

Daily driver- 99 VW TDI or 2002 KLR DIESEL w/cvt... weather permitting
    Projects: 96 M1078, 97 Triumph Tiger w/3cyl Diesel Kubota
    Sold: 1962 Dieselized Unimog 404, 1984 Int. 24foot Flatbed, 97 Jeep TJ heavily Modified, Datsun Roadster(s) & 510(s)

I'm the dude, man! Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,539 Times in 3,331 Posts

939 series cans were designed to be submerged. contingent on a seal built by the lowest bidder. Plenty have been underwater for long periods of time without issue. Fording dept for a LMTV is 36in. Well below the top of the tire which that intake appears to be over it. 99.8 percent of people are not folding rivers in their camper. A simple slip on pipe accounts for higher water fording but then you have to worry about your exhaust. The LMTV fording kit for 50in is only an exhaust extension.

IMO LMTVs should stay as far away from high water as possible wether stock or modified. Military or civilian.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by simp5782; 10-16-2019 at 12:10.
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1979 AM General M920
    1984 AM General M915A1 (Big Cam III, HT3B Turbo, Brushless 24v Alternator with equalizer, A/C, Rear 20,000lb winch. 11R24 rear tires and 395s up front.)
    1984 AM General XM923A4 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT4B turbo, Intercooled, #10 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 7" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    M923A1
    M931A2
    M1083
    M1078
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

4. The Following User Says Thank You to simp5782 For This Useful Post:

coachgeo (10-16-2019)

Thanks

Look closely at the where water would end up being sprayed, even if just driving in a rain storm.

I don't plan on high water cruises, but I would like a greater margin than what that offers. High water travel across fast streams is best left to the Russians lol. Every single hose clamp and seal would to be perfect, or it's going to be expensive.

I'd like to hear from those who have forded in any MV in deep water with a snorkel or a mechanic that had to fix the failures : )

Quote Originally Posted by coachgeo View Post
    Plenty of ya'll in here know way more than I.... myself don't see much issue with the OEM low mounted one when it comes to water.... is water really going to raise up from there all the way to the engine even under vacuum?

Dust... different issue. making a wide thin snorkel between box and cab (same square footage just different shape) would IMHO be a wise change. doing that would make it very similar to the 939 setup
    Last edited by Reworked LMTV; 10-16-2019 at 15:03.
    1998 M1088A0 former KY National Guard vehicle

Many states have banned on road use of MV's. Even Canada has made driving them difficult. In a flash all of your work money and work is wasted. Watch your State Legislator closely! Band together to make sure this does not happen. This can be done by setting up an automatic send of all State Bill proposals. Once it's law, it's hard to get it changed.

General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reworked LMTV View Post
    If you put it there, you will need to consider the hassle of opening the cab. Not that it could not be done. The space between the cab and the spare and the intake is poorly utilized. It was designed for quick dismantle in the field, not space conservation. RV people have tried to redo this area. I think it is somewhat of a waste of time. For example, the spare tire is going to take about the same area, whether it is left where it is, or stuck on the back of the RV. If you are trying to regain the space by moving thing around, consider dovetailing things like a small gen, a 12 volt compressor for back up, into that area. Put things on slides, whenever possible. Maybe put the intake on stilts or something and utilize the space below it better.
    Cab tilt will be easy. One snap collar will separate the air pipe under the cab and up she goes. I am also planning on putting the expansion tank up there I am certain I can make a better use of space with box and steps there and the tire pushed to the rear(lower overall length for a given sq/ft).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reworked LMTV View Post
    When that seal goes out on that can, you will be pulling water in when it rises to the level of the hub. Sheesh......
    Hydro lock is a violent death for a CAT.
    I don't like it that way likely your not fording over the top of the tires but, there is a lot of spray kicked up from those tires just drive down a muddy road like I do all summer there are times I cant see out the side windows I would look at the Isuzu npr trucks they have a low mounted air cleaner with tall skinny duct work attached to the cab and nothing more than a compression seal. its not water proof for fording but works good to get clean air from above the cab

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snowtrac nome For This Useful Post:

Reworked LMTV (10-16-2019), Ronmar (10-16-2019)

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ronmar View Post
    Cab tilt will be easy. One snap collar will separate the air pipe under the cab and up she goes. I am also planning on putting the expansion tank up there I am certain I can make a better use of space with box and steps there and the tire pushed to the rear(lower overall length for a given sq/ft).
    Only issue there is that if you want to run your engine with the cab up to work on it, you will have an open intake. That is dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simp5782 View Post
    939 series cans were designed to be submerged. contingent on a seal built by the lowest bidder. Plenty have been underwater for long periods of time without issue. Fording dept for a LMTV is 36in. Well below the top of the tire which that intake appears to be over it. 99.8 percent of people are not folding rivers in their camper. A simple slip on pipe accounts for higher water fording but then you have to worry about your exhaust. The LMTV fording kit for 50in is only an exhaust extension.

IMO LMTVs should stay as far away from high water as possible wether stock or modified. Military or civilian.
    Do you have a picture of what the FMTV high water kit looks like? I have never actually seen one.

General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ramdough View Post
    Only issue there is that if you want to run your engine with the cab up to work on it, you will have an open intake. That is dangerous.

I wont have an open intake

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ronmar View Post
    I wont have an open intake
    I believe you..... I have seen your posts and believe you know what you are talking about. I just am not picturing what you have in mind. Can you please explain?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast